Chapter 9: Sunday Morning

Sunday morning. My favorite time. Our family always get breakfast together at Sunday morning. Dad, Anna, Jack, Jeremy, Jason, Sarah, and me. Big family.

Jack's probably still sleeping. Jeremy must be doing his morning swimming routine. Anna and I are preparing the food. Dad reads the newspaper in the living room. Jason and Sarah usually arrives at 7 am, then Sarah helps Anna and me in the kitchen.

I love this Sunday morning routine. Everyone is at home and eating at the same table. We just get together like a normal family. Since Jason got married, I have to admit that something feels different around the house. I mean I grew up with three brothers. Now there's only two brothers left in this home, and I barely see them because they are busy helping Dad in the office.

The meal is ready. The table are set. "Go get your father. I'll get Jack." Anna pats my shoulder.

I hug my Dad from behind. "The breakfast is ready." I love my Dad, despite his tough love teaching method. Hugging him like this always make me think that I'm still a little girl.

We gather around at the dining table. All seven of us in complete. Jeremy starts praying. Thanking God for the food, the wealth, and the happiness He gives to our family. Then, we start eating. Anna has a very serious cooking skill.

"Jenna." Dad called me. "How's Darius yesterday? Is he nice to you?"

I smile a little remembering yesterday. "Yeah, Dad. He's nice." But, I won't give in so quick. "Although, his brother Alex was way nicer than him." I stuff the chicken into my mouth and chew them slowly.

"Why Darius?" Jason asks.

"Because he suits Jenna better. Why? Do you think Alex or the others will be best choice for your sister?" Dad gives Jason his signature look. The deep, intimidating look behind his glasses.

"Just curious. We all want the best for Jenna." Jason smiles. He won't win against my Dad.

"And the business." Jack murmurs.

"I heard that Jack." Says Dad while cut his chicken.

"Sorry, Dad. Why Smiths? I think there are plenty best contractor company in the country that we can buy."

"Three words,-"

"I know better." I cut Dad's sentence. It's his trademark. He always says that whenever we question his actions for this family and company.

"Smart girl." Dad smiles toward me.

I smile weakly and try to swallow my food. The others carry on with their food and continue the conversation. Jason gives me the same weak smile, try to assure me that everything is going to be okay. I nod in return, telling him I can endure it. Whatever it is, I'll survive it.

After the breakfast, everyone get back to their activities. Dad wants to talk to me in his studies. Saying there's something he wants to discuss. I know what would be the topic.

"What do you want to discuss?" I sit on the sofa. When I was 8 to 12 I used to play in this sofa while Dad working in his desk. I'd pretend to be his assistant and picked up the phone saying 'Mr. Grey's office. How may I help you?' And pretended to sort the documents. Ah, memory.

I look at my Dad. He is getting older. His beautiful brown hair changed into gray hair, sometimes I tease him saying his hair looks like salt and pepper. Dad is in his late 50s but still look fresh and sharp. When I was in high school, many of my girlfriends had a crush on my Dad. It was gross. Yeah, it was gross. Jason and I were in boarding school when we were in high school. It's part of Grey culture and tradition. Dad came to visit quite often when I was in there, guess he missed me and couldn't be parted with his only daughter.