Chapter 6: Absurd Outfit

"Sorry." I say weakly.

"For what?" Alex answer calmly. His voice catches my breath.

"For not taking your hand earlier. I feel bad. But, I'm not comfortable with physical contact with a stranger. Not that you are stranger-stranger but I just-"

"Hey, Jenna. It's okay. All good." Alex cuts me off. He's nice. Good personality. But, still rude for cut me off.

We walk around the golf course and talk. Getting know better of each other. Alex is a nice company. He sure can keep a conversation going. Walking beside him makes me feel like a lilliput because he is freakishly tall. I can't keep but wondering if his brother is a nice person like him or not and is handsome as he is or not.

He is working at his father's company, not surprise there. If I have to say, he is on par with Jason, as they both are the crowned prince. Alex is three years older than me. We only talk about office and work for a couple minutes, because I really don't want to talk about business.

My mind is jumping to the article I read about Smiths family. Alexander and Darius, I'm sure I've heard those names before I read the articles about them and definitely not from the history books I read.

"Jenna. If you don't mind me asking, are you germaphobe?" Alex's voice interrupts my wandering mind.

"Um, no. Why?"

"Nothing. I thought you were because you're not comfortable with physical contact."

"No, I'm comfortable when it came down to my family or someone I know from a long time or someone I trust. It's just... There was an incident back then that made me uncomfortable with a stranger. Sorry if I offended you earlier."

Alex smiles at me. "Well, I hope very soon I can hold your hands that means you've trusted me enough." There's a wide smile in his face that make a tingling in my stomach. "Oh, and why are you wearing a sweater to a country club? It's hundred degrees in here." There's a curiousness in his gorgeous dark brown eyes.

"You sound like my brother Jack. He complained about my sweater earlier."

"Well, that's exactly a kind of absurd outfit to go to a golf course." Alex chuckles.

I laugh. Damn, he's making me laugh. "I like wearing long sleeves."

"Even in a dress?"

I nod my head, confirming. "Even in a dress." Gosh, that smiles. "You wear an absurd outfit too you know."

"What? Do I?"

"Yes, no one wears black tees to the golf course. It's hundred degrees."

"Because black absorbs more heat?" I nod my head. He's smart. "Well, then we are a couple of absurd people in here." Big smile appears in his face. I like that smiles.

"I was having a thought." Alex raises his brow. "Were you and your brother named after Alexander of Greece and Darius of Persian?"

Alex smiles widely. "You're smart. Guess my Dad wasn't exaggerating when he told us that you are a very bright girl."

I feel a warm in my cheeks. I forgot how embarrassing and great it was to receive a compliment from a boy. Earth to Jenna, hello, Earth to Jenna.

I laugh. "I was in history club back in high school and was really into Persian. I think I had a crush on Darius the Great, he was awesome and really smart. I always feel he didn't get enough and proper recognition though. I mean everyone always know about the Rome and Greece but there was not enough lecture about Persian. And Egypt wouldn't be Egypt if it wasn't for Darius. He was awesome and in my mind is still awesome." I take a glance at Alex. He smiles in amusement. "I'm rambling like a crazy person, aren't I?"

Alex chuckles, "no. It's good. I like smart girls, it says a lot about their qualities."

"Now, you're exaggerating like your Dad." My face is definitely blushing. "But, Darius was reigning almost 150 years before Alexander. Why did your Dad name his first born Alexander instead of Darius?"

"Huh. I never asked my Dad about that. You should ask him when you get the chance."

"Maybe I will."

"Promise to tell me when you know the answer?"

"I'm bad at keeping a promise."

Alex laughs and still smiling in amusement. We continue walking around at the golf course despite the rising heat. Alex asks many things from me, most of them are a trivia. Like I said, he knows how to keep a conversation going.

I feel like we've walked for an hour or more and the sun heat is really getting to my skin. I look at my wristwatch, it's 2.36 pm. Phew, it's hot. 

Alex looks at me with a concern look. He must notice my red skin.

"You must be getting hot by now. Why don't we go inside?"

Alex pulls out a chair for me. We sit inside the clubhouse but separately from our parents. Alex chose near the window with a pool view. Jack and Jeremy haven't returned to our parents' table, perhaps they went home. Jason and Sarah still stick in there, excited with whatever conversation they all have.

"So, what do you think about me?" Alex breaks my thought.

"What about you?" My heart beat is increasing. I never good at this.

"You know what I mean."

"You seem nice. You are nice." Alex chuckles and tapping his finger on the table. "I mean you are great. Smart. Nice-looking. Proper one if I must say. Perhaps I can see why my Dad tries to matchmaking us."

There is a slight confusion in Alex's face when suddenly someone pulls out a chair next to me and sits. "Oh, sweetheart. He's not the one. I believe I am. Hey, Alex." He waves his hand at Alex.

It's the rude guy from the hospital. I nearly scream but hold my voice. The only word comes out from my mouth is, "you???"

 The only word comes out from my mouth is, "you???"