Chapter 8: Stranger

"It's not that hard. Isn't it? We haven't had a proper introduction. Hi, I'm Darius Smith." He extends his hand. I'm not sure whether to shake his hand. And Darius knows very well my inner struggle about shaking his hand. "I already held your hand 3 times. A hand-shake won't hurt." His hand's still hanging. I reluctantly, extend my hand and shake his hand.

"Hi, Darius Smith. I'm Jenna Grey." He smiles, satisfy with his achievement.

Darius has a different smile from his brother. Alex has this cute-bright-warm-make your day better smile. While Darius has mischief-sexy-mysterious-with-hidden agenda smile but cute too. Make you curious about meaning behind that smile.

"Why were you not at lunch ?"

"Why? Do you miss me sweetheart?" Ugh, that smile's driving me nuts.

"I don't even know you. And stop calling me sweetheart."

"I can call you sweetheart anytime, after all I'm your soon-to-be fiancé." I frown. "Oh, come on that was a joke. Stop pouting. It doesn't suit your face."

"What do you know about this arranged-marriage?"

"I just know that I have to marry Grey heiress to secure my family-business."

"Is your company on trouble or some kind of distress?"

"Not that I know of." He shrugs lightly.

"Then why? Usually we acquired company in distress. I mean, yes there are few healthy companies we acquired but still, it's weird."

"Does it matter to you what kind of company yours acquired?"

I turn my head and glare at him that I believe I can split his head into two pieces just by looking at him.

"Please tell me your opinion about me. Because I'm sure I just caught a small dumb thought from you that I'm just a useless heiress who only sit on the throne and spend daddy's money recklessly." There are much venom in my voice.

Darius looks shocked for a while but he adjusts himself to his normal self. He smiles sweetly, which makes me calm.

"I'm sorry if I offended you. I would never think that horrible about you. I've heard amazing things about you before for your information. I know you don't work for your dad, but I do know that your brother always turns to you asking for your help regarding all merger and acquisition your company did. Like it's your specialty, isn't it?"

"Where did you hear that?"

"Well, sweetheart," he lets his words linger for a while, "that's just a secret I'd take to my grave."

"I'll get the answer, one way or another."

"You can try, baby." I look down and smile a little hearing his words. Don't know why but his voice just has this effect on me and I just met him. Crazy.  "Wait," he interrupts my thought, "is that a smile?"

I put my bored face as soon as he asked and shrug. He laughs it off.

"Why did you agree to this marriage thing?"

"I want to do good for the company."

"How?"

"Your family is an old money, Jenna. My father started the company while your father inherited the company from your grandfather whom he inherited from your great-grandfather. Hell, even your family is a face of Boston Times every semester. When there's a chance to marry one of Grey heir or heiress, I don't think we commoner will pass that chance. Business wise, joining your company will do good for ours."