I'm Just A Human

Sage Heart

"I've got it!" Jae exclaims as we step out of the classroom and into the hallway. It is early December, and with the temperature dropping considerably, everyone in LA is now bundled up in more than three layers.

"I hope it's not contagious," I say with a laugh, walking alongside him, passing by a cluster of juniors crowding a staircase.

Jae looks at my sardonically, his heart glowing pink (happiness). "I know what I should have said to you on Cody's birthday."

Wasn't that almost two weeks ago? I look at him, and, realizing he is dead serious, I humor him. "And that is..?" I goad, playing along.

"If you have been hurt many times and you can still smile, trust me, you are damn strong." His lips curve up into a proud smile, his coal eyes gauging my reaction.

Not sure how I should respond, I tell him, "I don't know what to say, Ham."

"You don't need to say anything." He's still smiling. "I just wanted you to hear it."

I lift a cynical brow at him. "Now why does that sound familiar?"

"No it doesn't. That was a Ham original."

"I am suing you for stealing my lines," I say in mock-outrage, playfully nudging my elbow against his.

Jae retaliates by ruffling my hair. I swat his hands away, but he continues his assault. "You are so going to pay for that, Ham," I warn him grimly, reaching out to muss up his own mane.

"I'd like to see you try," he taunts, and with his much longer legs, he runs off, disappearing into a corner. I'm about to make a chase after him when I inadvertently bump into someone, the impact causing her to fall and send her books soaring through the air.

"I-I'm so sorry," I stammer, on one knee, collecting her things from the tiles. "I wasn't looking--" I glance up, meeting a familiar pair of dark eyes. "--where I was going. Hi, Shell." It's none other than Shell Caldwell, our class treasurer, pretty as always, with long brown hair tucked into her pink scarf, which matches her thick maxi coat and boots.

"Hi, Sage. It wasn't an accident. I was actually approaching you, because I need to talk to you about something." You know what else isn't an accident? Jimin shaking off his jacket in Blood, Sweat & Tears. Seriously though, did he do that on purpose? Either way, he looked so cool.

Shell just has that vibe about her that makes anyone feel at ease. The way she talks, moves, dresses, how she carries herself with class, at the same time spreading happy-go-lucky energy, despite being swamped with academics, simultaneously balancing her family life and social life while maintaining her spot on the Dean's List. Frankly, she would make a better president than me, but I think that would be a suicidal mission, baring in mind how busy she already is.

So imagine my shock when she parts her lips to tell me, "I have a crush on someone."

A love life. My first thought is, She must be crazy to even consider engaging in romance when she's got a full plate right now, but then I hastily edit my mindset, thinking, Maybe she just needs to confide in someone she's comfortable with?

I smile at Shell. "I'm happy for you, Shell."

Her cheeks are tinged with pink, the same pink as the glow of her heart, but with a hint of red (romantic love). She must really like this person.

"The reason I'm telling you this, Sage, is because.." Her blush intensifies. "You know him."

I mentally scroll down the slew of guys I know: Ham, Res, Cole, Core, Chess, Arrow.. Does Arrow count? If it's him, then perhaps Shell doesn't mind that he's gay? One of the reasons why Springfield University is teeming with diverse students is because there is zero discrimination, which I love; This school welcomes everyone, a liberation that so many people have been craving, advocating, in the past century.

Shell locks gazes with me, her the feminine contours of her face slightly flustered. "Can we talk somewhere more private?" she asks, underscoring her point by gesturing her eyes left and right, pertaining to the students milling about the corridor.

"Okay." Why do I feel like I'm forgetting something very important?

After the two of us find a good place to sit--a cold marble bench near the quad--Shell clasps her hands on her pink-clad lap and turns to face me, and when she speaks, a small puff of white air blows out of her lips.

"You've always struck me as a well-liked person," she begins, her teeth chattering a little, her gaze warm and affable. "But I didn't realize what an amazing girl you really are."

A crease forms between my eyebrows. "I'm not sure I follow."

"Sage." Shell slides her hands into her coat pockets. "You're special." Her heart is glowing pink (happiness) and orange (control) and.. green (envy). Wait, envy? Why does she feel jealous?

Noticing my confusion, Shell quickly adds, "I mean, you're the first person to become good friends with Jae."

I'm still perturbed, which she also notices. "He's not a stereotypical heartthrob, you know? He's not rich, he's not sporty, he's not vain, and he doesn't mess around with girls, but everyone likes him.

Well, maybe that's a bit of a stretch. No one is perfect. Don't tell anyone this, but there have actually been some guys and girls who are crushing on him, but Jae seems low-key. He doesn't look the type to entertain romantic affairs, and he keeps this.."

She mimes with her hands. "..gap between him and anyone who tries to get too close. It's like he doesn't want to get attached to anybody else, since he already has a tight group of friends. Everyone calls them Ocean 10. They are also a reserved bunch. So a lot of people were surprised when they welcomed you with open arms. I figured there's something unique about you."

Oh, she has no idea.

"And Jae has really taken a shine to you." Shell's face brightens. "You must be really something, Sage."

Yes, I'm a girl with a rare curse who has spent almost five years running, looking over my shoulder, hiding from people who want to sell me off to the highest bidder, losing my parents because of a huge mistake where I am wholly to blame, and I've fallen for two guys who only broke my heart in the end, not to mention, at only thirteen, I've had a mi--

Oblivious to my inner turmoil, Shell shows me her gentle smile. "I've seen people try to get close to them, and they failed miserably. Believe me, you're something."

Something horrible.

"Shell." I force my voice to sound steady, unaffected by her undeserved praise. "If it's alright, can I know who your crush is?"

"Oh! Right, sorry." She grins sheepishly before breathing into her palms. "You're close with Jae, so I thought, if it's not too much trouble, you can help me out?"

My brown eyes are scanning her earnest face, and I say, "You mean, set you up on a date with Ham?"

"What? No. He's not my crush."

"Then who..?"

"Cole Jensen." She swoons, her smile dreamy. "The tourism major."