Gathering

Jae Ham

"Any updates?" I ask over the phone while I'm brushing my teeth after eating dinner that evening. I gargle water and spit it onto the sink just as Sage answers, "Mr. Jun informed me that the principal reluctantly scheduled a meeting with the board of education tomorrow afternoon. All parties involved must be present." Somehow, I know she's rolling her eyes when she said that.

I can't help but give a light chuckle. "Why the emphasis on 'reluctantly'?" I ask into the receiver as I step out of the bathroom,passing by a confused-looking Gem. She shrugs and closes the bathroom door behind her with a casual click.

Ignoring my question, Sage shoots one right back. "Will your grandparents be there?"

"Yeah." I enter my bedroom. "I told them everything while the trio was busy washing the dishes," I say before laying down on my back on the bed, one arm over my head as my eyes stare up at the plain ceiling.

A thick blanket of silence envelopes us. After a few seconds, I hear Sage's voice again. "Um,so.. the meeting." She clears her throat awkwardly. "Tomorrow. It's at five thirty pm. In the library."

I settle into a sitting position on my bed, resting the back of my head against the headboard as I thrust my fingers through my hair. "Will you be there?" I ask in the most normal voice I can muster.

Sage's weak laugh fills my ears. "Wouldn't you like to know," she says cryptically, sending a cold chill down my spine. "No seriously, do you want to know?" she reiterates, more seriously this time.

I don't reply, but come Wednesday afternoon, at exactly five thirty, I get my answer. Inside the Treetop Library, all the wooden tables have been compressed to form one long conference table, like the ones you see in business rooms.

There are twenty-one people present; On one side of the table are Rayna Ho, Jennie Smith, Lennon Weaver, Hayden Hurst, Briar Clifton, all accompanied with one parent each. Sitting at the opposing side are my grandparents and three siblings.

At the rear end of the table are Mr. Jun and Miss Yang, seated across Mrs. Eva Crosby, head of the board of education. She is currently sandwiched between two trustees, Timothy Callahan and Barbara Gaines, both of them in their late forties and wearing corporate attire.

Sage isn't here. I never did ask again if she were coming today. Why must she be such a mystery? Although that's what keeps drawing me to her; She's a human puzzle. A conundrum I don't believe anyone will ever figure out.

After introductions were made, everyone sits down on their chairs, making themselves more comfortable despite the growing tension thick enough to slice with a butcher knife.

Mrs. Crosby sweeps her professional albeit apprehensive eyes over the people surrounding her. "It has come to my attention that there has been some--" she clears her throat inwardly, "--dispute among some students in Miss Yang's classroom. Would anyone like to say something regarding this matter?"

Someone gives a loud scoff. It's Rayna's father, Mr. Ho. Tall with dark hair and in a stiff suit, if his intention was to look intimidating, he's definitely succeeding. All heads turn to look at him as his cold gaze rakes over my siblings, all three of them flinching under his icy acknowledgement. "I want to get this done with as quickly as possible," he says in a frigid tone. Facing his brunette daughter, he asks, "Rayna. Did you or did you not bully your classmates?"

"Of course not,dad! I would never harm any of my friends." Rayna flashes Bianca a cruel smile. "Isn't that right,Bianca?" My 15-year-old sister winces upon Rayna's words. She keeps her mouth shut, warily averting her eyes from Rayna's.