Magic Shop

Jae Ham

I agreed to meet her at Chelsi's Place, one of the most popular restaurants with outdoor seating in Los Angeles. With an exterior that resembles a log cabin in the woods, an interior which looks like a rustic vacation house, and simple furniture and fresh, mouthwatering recipes, Chelsi's Place will always be one of California's most underrated restaurants.

Sage and I are seated upstairs, away from the crowds, only a few tables are occupied.  I notice the second floor has a nice, picturesque view of the nighttime city life. The roads and buildings are alive. The sky is charcoal with white specks of dust scattered everywhere.

Sage's attention is on the starry night as well. Her brown eyes are full of awe and wistfulness. She looks at me, the nostalgia fading from her expression.

"Are you sure it's okay to eat here?" I warily eye all the delectable food laid out on the table. "You ordered a lot of expensive meals.." My hand is rubbing the side of my neck. "You can just buy us some meatballs from a food cart on the street.."

"I.. I'm sorry," she says meekly, dropping her gaze to the bountiful feast, "It's just that I haven't treated anyone.. for a long time. Back in grade school, the kids in class used to ask me to buy them food whenever I was the top student or when I get my allowance. But this is what the usually ask for."

Sage fiddles with the strap of her mask slightly. "Mavis used to get really upset when that happened. She used to say, 'you shouldn't waste your money on kids who are only being nice to you because they want something from you.

Have they ever said a word to you in class except when they copied off your answer sheet?' She told me to choose someone who really cares about me when I'm picking friends. That I shouldn't let anybody take advantage of me."

A sigh blows into her mouth. "Mavis was the only one who cared about me when I was in middle school. That's why I always used to hang out with her. She doesn't like me paying for her meals, so I haven't bought meals since then."

As she speaks, I study her in silence. It was the most she'd said about herself since we met, and I try to imagine what her life was like back then. Who was she in grade school? High school? One of the popular cheerleaders? Or one of the bookish girls, who spent their lunches in the library, her nose buried in a book?

Granted, it's ancient history. I mean-who cared about high school? But even now, as she's lost in her memories, I'm unable to put a finger on who she had been in the past.

"We can go to another restaurant if you don't like it here," she suggests. "We can put the stuff we ordered in takeout containers and take them home. What do you say?"

"It's okay," I assure her. "I really like this place, too. It's just too expensive to let you pay for the whole thing. I'll share the bill."

"No!" she expostulates. "If you share the bill, then it won't be my treat anymore. "I invited you, so it's only right that I pick up the tab. It's the least I can do since I called you over at the last minute." Her brown eyes are laced with a sly glint, and it takes me a second to comprehend her tone.

"Funny," I say, one corner of my lips tugging up in a crooked smile, "Very funny."

"Are you mad?" "Nope, just.. caught off guard," I admit, then reach for my spoon. I'm about to use my fork to stab a slice of pork onto my plate when I notice that Sage is simply watching me.

"Uh, Heart?" "Yeah?" "Aren't you going to eat?"

She shakes her head no. "I'm not hungry. But if you can't finish, then we can have the leftovers to go."