Drama

Jae Ham

Her chair is empty. That's cool. I don't give a damn. I don't care. I'm not worried. Oh hell, who am I fooling? No matter how hard I try not to think about her, I just can't help it.

Class will start in a few minutes. Will this be her first time being tardy? I scan the room. Everyone is also speculating on why the president is nowhere to be seen. It's not like her to be late. Sure, there were instances when she almost came in after the bell, but she was either early or prompt. Nothing in between.

"Maybe she slept through her alarm?" "No, I bet she has a hangover." "Or she could have gotten stuck in a traffic jam?" "Boo,that's boring." "Oh fine. She probably masquerades as a superhero, then and is arresting a hooligan in an abandoned alley?" "Who the hell uses hooligan anymore?"

SLAM! I drop my heavy textbook on my desk, startling everyone in the classroom into shocked silence. I move my cold gaze over all my classmates. "Can we stop talking about someone who isn't here?" The room is deadly quiet. "Thank you," I say tonelessly, sinking on my chair.

"What's his deal?" "I dunno." "Has he always been like that?" "Who cares, as long as he's hot, it's fine." "How superficial of you." "People should stop accepting that bullshit by now."

Our professor arrives at the same time Sage does. Everyone is stunned beyond belief when they drink in Sage's appearance. Her long yellow hair is unruly, as usual. Her skin looks paler against the blue jeans and sweater she's wearing. Surprise surprise, her mask is covering half her face. But what really catches our attention is the exhaustion in her brown eyes. She seems ready to collapse on the floor and sleep there until the day is over.

Lunch time. I'm trying to gather the courage to speak to Sage, but Nate beats me to the punch. "Hey, Sage? Can I talk to you for a minute?" he says to her while she's donning her backpack.

The blonde looks at him through half open eyes. "Sure," she answers kindly, then walks alongside him outside the classroom,leaving me disappointed with myself.

I feel my phone vibrating inside my pocket. I fish it out and say into the receiver, "What do you want, Res?" "Jae." His voice is strangled. "I'll make this fast. Do you still remember Kathleen? The blind date I set you up with last week?"

My fingers tighten over my phone. "What about her?" My heart is thudding with a sudden foreboding. "Jae," says Res,sounding tormented. "Kathleen is dead. She committed suicide just an hour ago. Her parents found her body hanging from her bedroom's ceiling."

I drop the phone and stumble to the floor, my back leaning on the wall for support. I feel sick and nauseous. I puff out my cheeks, placing a palm over my mouth to prevent the vomit from gushing out of my throat.

"Jae?" I hear Res from the phone on the ground. "Jae,are you still there?" I swallow hard. "Yeah, I'm here," I say as I reach for my phone. "When's the funeral? Who are invited? Was there a note she left behind?"

"According to the news, Kathleen will be cremated in a couple of weeks. Only family members will attend the memorial. And no,I don't think she made a letter or anything. There was only one word written on the wall above her bed. It was in black marker. 'Goodbye.'"

When I remain silent, Res pelts me with questions. "Did she say anything during your date last week? Hints about her dire thoughts? Was she behaving strangely?"

You gotta promise not to tell anyone. Take this to your grave, you understand? I'm suicidal.

"No, she was your typical college girl," I answer before he notices my hesitation. I think back to that night at the restaurant. Those brief moments of vulnerability she displayed. "She didn't strike me as a suicidal person," I continue smoothly.