Don't Leave Me

Jae Ham

Sage agreed to come with me despite her doubts. At eighteen, I still don't have a car, so we simply rode a different bus which drove past the Snow residence.

"I'm still clueless as to why Sparkle wants to talk to me, but is the situation really as bad as Flair paints it out to be?"

My gaze focuses on the dubious blonde walking by my side. "Have you ever had a friend who you love to death but at the same time fucking hate them and every once in a while you get an extremely strong urge to beat the shit out of them?"

Sage's cheeks puff out as she snickers into her palm. "Yes," she squeaks.

I grin at her before staring ahead, tucking my hands into my pockets. "That's how I feel about Ocean 9." I'm pertaining to my crazy set of friends.

She nods in agreement. "Funny. While you were talking, I couldn't help but think of Angel and Elana."

My gaze focuses on the fond smile forming on her lips. "They're lucky to be your friends."

"No." Sage shakes her head, her mouth still curved upwards. "If anything, it's the other way around."

Upon reaching the front door of the Snow house, I lift my finger and press on the doorbell. Three seconds pass before the maid swings open the door and lets us inside.

Sage and I are about to enter the receiving area when we hear a loud slap from the foyer. I look at Sage, her frozen expression mirroring my own. I put my forefinger on my lips, hushing any possible word from leaving her throat.

"HOW DARE YOU!"

I feel someone tugging at the hem of my shirt. The apprehension on Sage's face is enough for me to grab her hand protectively. I give it a gentle squeeze, sensing the tremble of her fingers.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WANT TO MARRY MY DAUGHTER?!?" a man shouts.

The two of us gingerly tiptoe closer to the receiving area, but stop behind the wall dividing us from the scene.

"Why the hell would I marry her when she cheated on me?" a second voice hisses.

"I didn't do it on purpose, Jet!" cries a girl I know is Sparkle. "I told you, I was drunk!"

"Don't give me that bullshit excuse," Jet spits out. "Everyone knows what they're doing whether of not they're sober." A pause. "In fact, a person's true colors show when alcohol fills their system. You probably wanted to sleep with Chord all along."

"SHUT UP!" the man yells. "YOU BETTER MARRY MY DAUGHTER, PALMER! YOU WON'T LIKE IT WHEN I'M MAD!"

Jet gives a hollow laugh. "Then I guess this is your happy side?"

A woman's voice interjects, "Can't we settle this in an orderly fashion?"

Eventually another man speaks above the ruckus. I think it's Jet's father, Mr. Palmer. "What exactly do you want to happen, Mr. Snow?"

There's a beat of silence. "I need your son to marry my daughter."

"Jet?" calls out Mr. Palmer to his son.

Jet answers and it's a firm, "No, I won't."

"Why, this bast--" "Dad! Stop hurting him!"

"Son, you really won't do it?" Mr. Palmer asks, now sounding agitated by the situation.

We hear Jet sigh. "No, dad. I won't. Not now, not ever." He adds, "You can't force me to marry you, Sparkle. Why not try that fucker over there? He's more than willing to have you."