Chapter 41 - New Life

Start from the beginning

I have to tell him.

"Will I know why I've felt so nauseous lately." She paused as emotion overtook her, coming out as a single sob, and the tears flow again. "Within me... I'm pregnant... Our daughter. I don't know what to do."

Will stood in shocked silence for a moment, his face like stone. "Oh, wow." He paused again. "You said you had protection against this."

Terra put her forehead against his chest. "I did... I thought I did. I used my psi-surgery to pinch shut my fallopian tubes. I don't know what happened. It should have worked."

Will sighed. "I think I know. When we are close together, I interfere with your aura. And we are very close when we make love. And the Darkness training. My presence undid your protection." He cupped her face in his hands and peered deeply into Terra's eyes. "What should we do?"

Terra collapsed against him, whispering, "Thank you for saying we."

"Terra! It will always be we."

"It's just... My father left my mother when she was pregnant. I'm not sure..."

"Put it out of your mind!" Will huffed. "I say we have our daughter. What do you say?"

"It's such an inconvenient time, though," she replied weakly.

A chortle escaped Will's lips. "Is it ever convenient?"

"No." Terra squeezed his waist, pressing herself tighter against him. An unexpected joy pulsed from her heart, spreading through her whole being. "Then, I say yes."

Will pressed his lips to hers, then pulled away, gasping. "Oh, no."

Terra widened her eyes. "What is it?"

"We'll have to tell Ginny. It will be the Stare for sure."

Terra laughed and nuzzled again to his chest. "We may as well get it over with."

The next afternoon, Will and Terra plodded into Ginny's office holding hands. First clearing his throat, Will opened his mouth but found himself unable to speak previously rehearsed words.

Ginny rolled her eyes, mumbling, "What is it, Will? Did you knock her up or something?"

Will and Terra both widened their eyes and dropped their chins. Ginny's eyebrows slowly rose as her eyes moved from Will to Terra. "You did? I mean, you're pregnant?"

Gulping, Terra could only nod.

Ginny rushed around her desk and grabbed them both into a tight, almost suffocating hug. "Oh, this is so exciting! I can be the grandma, can't I? How far along are you?"

"Only six to eight weeks," Terra answered in a meek voice. "She is still so tiny."

"A granddaughter! I can't wait!" Ginny said with uncommon glee. Then she pushed a finger into Will's chest. "You make sure you take good care of her."

"Um, yes. Of course," he stammered.

Will walked out of the office, holding Terra's hand while Ginny hummed a cheerful tune to herself. He turned toward Terra and stared at her, forehead creased and mouth open. "What just happened here?"

Early evening, Will opened his door to find Liz with a smirk on her face. "I hear you have some news."

Will dipped his eyes and cupped his forehead. "Ginny told you?"

"She could barely contain herself. I've never seen her so excited about anything before. I have my orders to make sure the mother of her granddaughter is well taken care of."

Will sighed. "Well, you might as well come in to see for yourself."

As Liz passed through to the living room, Terra rose to give her a hug.

"So how are you feeling?" Liz asked.

Terra turned to Will and lifted her eyebrows. He shrugged. "Ginny told her."

Terra smiled as she shook her head. "My hormones are going nuts. Been having some morning sickness, but not too bad. And I am getting emotional. Will may need more care than me."

"Come in tomorrow and we'll do the standard diagnostics and set you up with a nutrition program." Liz gave Terra another hug. "I'm so happy for you both! Now, I've got to get home to my own kiddos."

*****

Far away in Eureka, the Blue Uprising Governance Council reconvened, at least with those not still traumatized by the Darkness. President Senn stood with his hands on the table's edge, his gold ceremonial mask cast aside, thus revealing the scorn on his face. "We cannot let this outrage go unanswered."

The governor to his left spoke. "They could have easily killed us all, but did not. If we go after them and fail, the next encounter may have a different outcome. Since they do not support our enemy, it is best to just leave them alone."

Another said, "And there is the noninterference agreement with the Library in Freehold. Breaking it would have repercussions."

Baring his yellowed teeth, Senn banged the table with his fist, shouting, "They are a threat to my destiny, and must be dealt with!"

The governor to his right raised his hand. "If I may, sir, there may be another way that carries little risk. The Dynasty still hunts our former agent and they would not abide this Hooded Man any more than we would. Perhaps if they were to discover their whereabouts?"

A crooked smile came to the president's face. "Yes, yes. That could work. The Emperor would be eager to eliminate the ones who killed his chief enforcer. And we would benefit whether or not they succeed. Prepare a message."