Dress

Hi everyone! Sorry I didn't get a chapter up yesterday like I had said originally- I ended up at a gorgeous choir performance but didn't have time to write because of it. Along those lines, I saw Phantom Of The Opera on Friday and it was simply gorgeous. I got to see some of my amazing cast mates from when I was in Les Mis as well, which was sososo much fun. I hope you all had a nice weekend as well! Here's a little chapter to close it up with! (ugh, school tomorrow lol) Enjoy/comment/vote! Xxxx
-ab

————————————-

December 14, 2025

Harper

"So, Taylor is taking you shopping for your dress when we have our reception?" Patrick clarifies with me.

"Yeah," I shrug. "She wanted to."

"Alright," Patrick laughs. "Does Tay realize that it's not really gonna be a super formal thing, but really just cocktails and desserts?"

"I think she realizes, but it's debatable."

"Alright," he replies. "Well, have fun with her."

"We are going to get mobbed by paparazzi," I groan. Though I love Taylor dearly, I've grown to not love going out with her for this exact reason.

"Just... take a pair of sunglasses and look down. Don't look them in the eye, alright?"

"Okay," I sigh. I grab my sunglasses as Patrick instructed, then pull my black pea coat over my shoulders and my Hamilton beanie onto my head.

"Look at how cute you are," Patrick tells me, wrapping a white scarf around my neck. "You're going to need it. It's quite chilly out there."

"Alright. Thanks, love."

"No problem."

I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket and pull it out to read my notification. "Taylor's here. I'd best be going."

"Have fun," he tells me as I tug on my gloves and head out of the flat after giving him a quick kiss goodbye.

I climb into Taylor's car once I'm outside, and she's sitting in the backseat, ready for me.

"Hey girl," Taylor smiles. "Are you ready for some serious dress shopping?"

I laugh. "Please remember that I'm on a budget here."

"No you're not. I'm paying. Think of it as my Christmas gift to you."

"Taylor," I protest.

"Hush. You've spent more than enough money on me over the years."

I laugh, blushing a crimson red. "That's fair..."

Taylor giggles, patting my shoulder. "We have reservations at this little dress place that I just adore over in Notting Hill."

"Taylor," I whine. "You know that-"

"I don't know what your little vendetta with Notting Hill is all about," Taylor laughs, "but I promise that this place is normal."

"Listen, I think I ended up in the wrong area of Notting Hill once, and it was dodgy, and I didn't think I was going to make it out alive."

"You are so dramatic," Taylor teases, causing me to laugh.

We joke around for a few more minutes in the car, until we arrive at the shop. After Taylor's driver plays his role as a security guard and escorts us inside, he leaves us, and we are whisked into a private little room in the back.

"I got my wedding dress here," Taylor whispers, "as well as some dresses for various events. They're the best."

Soon, a friendly lady walks into the room. "Hey Taylor. Are you Harper?"

I nod.

"Great. I'm Marie. So we are looking for a wedding dress today?"

"A simple one," I explain. "It isn't really a wedding, but more a celebration."

"Got it," Marie nods. "So, are we looking at white, or a different colour?

"Either white or a light, pastel tone. Maybe the second one...

"Harper owns a lot of pink," Taylor offers, causing me to shoot her a look which is somewhere between a glare and bursting into laughter.

"Let me see what I can do."

Marie disappears and returns in ten minutes with a handful of different dresses. "Tell me what you think of these."

I'm particularly taken by a lavender, floor length gown with a halter tie. It looks a lot like a lighter coloured, longer version of the dress which Taylor wore on her Speak Now tour. I also like a light pink one with a sweetheart neckline and a lacey tank top above.

"Let's get these two tried on, then," Marie says. "We don't have to go with either of them, but it's a starting point, and if you fall in love with one, then that's great."

Marie points to a curtain and instructs me to go try on the purple dress, so I push the curtain back and step into the little changing room.

I really do like the two dresses which I try, and Taylor agrees that they're gorgeous, but I'm not getting quite the right feeling from them. I feel like I'm about to attend a prom more than get married.

"Could I try something white? A bit more traditional?" I suggest.

"Sure," Marie says, disappearing and coming back in a few minutes with more options for me.

I pick out a dress with 3/4 length sleeves and an open back, as well as a very plain, long dress with spaghetti straps and a v-neck that doesn't dip low enough to be considered 'revealing.'

"You could pair that one with a flower crown, and it'd be really nice," Marie tells me, motioning to the second dress.

"Oh, Harper, I like that idea," Taylor remarks.

It's a funny thing. I wore a wedding dress for so many performances of Les Miserables, but it is an entirely different feeling now. I guess that it's becuase I'm not in character.

The difference is a good different. It feels much more magical now than it did for the year that I spent as Cosette.

As soon as I put on the first dress which I picked, I know that this is the one. From the front, it looks almost like Meghan Markle's dress from the wedding which I so adored when I was younger.

In the back, though, the fabric dips into a 'V' shape. There are two skinny bands of fabric making an 'X' over the open area of my back.

"I love this one," I state, walking out of the fitting room.

"Oh, Harper," Taylor gasps, "you look gorgeous."

"Thank you," I whisper, pushing a strand of hair out of my face. "Can I get this one?"

"I don't see how I could let you walk out of here without it," Taylor tells me, jumping up to give me a hug. With her arms wrapped around me, everything suddenly hits me. It all feels so real.

I'm going to be Taylor Swift's sister-in-law.

I'm getting married to the love of my life in just over a week, and then, I'm no longer going to be Harper Kennedy. I'm going to be Harper Alwyn.

It's going to be weird getting used to my new name, but I'd be lying if I said that I've never practiced my autograph as an Alwyn. Even before Patrick and I were engaged, I liked to fantasize about it happening someday.

Now, it's really going to happen.