Part 20

I waited nervously, scavenging my head for another possible plan. As I sat there, holding my knees to my chest in a tight cradle finally the time came.
The sound swing of the door opening shot through the silent hall, I heard the shuffling of the woman as they awake in fear. I sat up and crawled my way to the cell door to peep around at who had entered. To my luck, Isaac was there.
He was joined by 2 other men who seemed unfamiliar, and oddly stuck out, like they didn't belong. Dressed in casual to formal clothes, their hair neatly brushed back but their outfits looked... ruffled.
They all slowly walked down the hall checking the cells, occasionally the men would nod to each other but showed no sign of what was actually happening, I could only assume.
I caught Isaac glance down towards my cell which gave me a slight stab at my gut, like a small and painful paper cut as his eyes sliced through me.
I grabbed the bars pulling myself up to see more. As they neared the last couple cells my heart began hammering against my chest.
"That's it eh" one of the men said almost disappointed
"It's better than nothing" the other elbowed him "we've run into ruts like you, so well give 5k and no more" he added reaching for his pocket. "What do you mean?" Isaac barked as if insulted by the man.
I narrowed my eyes not quite following the conversation. Although I somewhat understand why the men were here.
"Oh come one, it's clear these woman aren't as 'fresh' as you claim them to be" he chuckled gesturing down the dimly lit hall while pulling out hundred dollar bills freshly stacked together. "Their not worth what you bargained us, so it's 5k or nothing" said the other man putting his hands in his pockets.
"I told you the truth, we had new ones brought in just a couple days ago" Isaacs voice grew harsh and inpatient.
"Where then? Show us because I do not see any" said the man with his hands in his pockets, and just then his eyes unfortunately fell on me.
No! You're going to ruin my plan!
"Hello.. maybe I spoke too soon" He snickered as he shuffled over. I felt like an animal, a poor helpless little creature.
Isaac looked unamused at the men. "No" he spoke up randomly. The man didn't seem to hear him at all though.
His fingers tapped at the bars and I shuffled away slightly, I glance up at Isaac as if to plead for help. Obviously I was faking it... kind of.
"Y-you don't want that one" he said abruptly after a short stutter. "Oh I think I do" he smirked watching me intensely.
"You can't" he said cold and sharply. The man stood up slowly to face Isaac, "Why not?" He asked in a threatening voice.
A long lasting pause sat between them before Isaac spoke back. "She's not due to last another night, not with..." he trailed off. I saw what he was doing and quickly shifted my posture and expression to a cold, sick, tired and I'll figure. As the man turned back the small lie began to ignite within him.
"We were going to get rid of her this evening but I didn't expect you both this early so I didn't get the chance" Isaac rubbed his jaw hoping the men would believe him.
As the man slowly reached his hand further into the cell I puffed out my chest and shot a heart, mucus filled cough at him as I grabbed my throat and slightly shivered. He jerked away wiping his hand against his shirt and quickly stood up in disgust.
"Forget it, well do 5k and keep us off the record" He finalised, Isaac face dropped with relief and agreed to the deal.
"Have them ready before next week" said the other handing the cash over "Well have the rest when we return" he finished.
They briefly shook hands and left for the door. I quickly sat up and fell against the bars making a loud bang that just caught Isaacs attention as he stepped out the door. I watched as he turned his head to see what the sound was and I knew he saw me. He stood for a moment before I crawled over to the cell corner to wake Catherine. This could be it, our chance.
But not even a second later, the loud slam off the door echoed heavily and I froze.
My one chance, lost...
Or so I thought..