Not your typical love story

That morning we got the call
At 5:02 my mother was woken up to the chiming of her phone. An unknown number.
I was woken by her cry and thumping feet as she climbed the stairs to my room.
I sat up confused as she burst into my room, her face damp of tears and shaking hands.
Her voice was coarse and she stammered over the words "there's been an accident Hun"
Her chin twitched while the tears ran down her cheeks.
I quickly sat up in disbelief and followed her down stairs without any answers.
We sat at the couch while she continued to talk on the phone, crying
"Yes sir, yes, thank you" she finished with a sniff and hung up
I looked at her wide eyed with my hands open awaiting an explanation
She looked at me blankly then leaned in for a hug, I think she misunderstood my intentions, but I let her hold on.
She pulled away and wiped her cheeks.
"Oh Tess, there's been a horrible accident" she sniffled
"What mum?" I tilted my head
"It's that lovely girl, Celia Brown, the one I tutored in 5th grade" she said, testing my memory.
Celia Brown was a smart kid, one of the smartest at Findlay high school, but wasn't very bright at spelling, which my mum offered lessons in when I mentioned it to her one day. Celia was nice, she was polite and very shy, but she always showed an interest in me. We weren't best friend material but we were some what friendly with each other.
"They've found her body in the Blue Mountain River, near by the nature reserve" she choked on the words.
Body?
"Did she run away?" I asked, so innocently, unaware of the terrible fate of my class mate
"No Hun, she's dead, kidnapped by a terrible man" she exhaled heavily, closing her eyes. This must be hard for her to digest.
I was struck by shock, not sure what to say next.
"But...how?" I asked, refusing to believe the news
"Hun I'm sorry, the man on the phone was Officer Bulls, he has confirmed it's her, and.." she stopped herself from continuing, obviously disturbed.
"What mum?" I needed answers, I needed to know.
"There are signs of struggle and abuse" she tried to explain carefully, walking a fine line
I knew what she'd meant. Celia was a pretty girl, the prettiest and every girl in school was jealous of her nature beauty, everyone in town loved her, but no one cruel enough could ever do this to her, or anyone.
My face was overcome by disgust, and distraught. I wanted to slam my fists against the coffee table, I didn't want the truth anymore, I couldn't bare to hear it anymore, immediately my thoughts were overrun by the sickening image of Celia's distorted fragile body, laying cold in the river, floating effortlessly as flash lights of shocked officers discovered her.
I fell back against the cushion on the sofa, sighing heavily.
After a few minutes of painful silence, my mum interrupted.
"Hey Tessa I've got the land agent coming this morning to sort out some papers for the open Home" she sniffled in between words as she attempted to act tough "and I'll need you out of the house, I'll be going to work once it's all sorted, can you do that for me hun?" She asked
I closed my eyes, imagining the talk of Celia Brown at school, her abandoned locker, her empty seat, I just wanted to stay home.
"I'm sorry hun, this isn't fair" she rest her hand on my knee.
"I'll be gone by eight" I stood up, hiding my saddened face and wet eyes.
I climbed up the stairs to my room and quietly shut the door, falling limply onto my bed.
From this point of, things where never going to be normal ever again.

7:30am
The Sun creeping in through the window caught my attention.
I couldn't sleep for hours after the call, not even a wink
I glanced at my digital clock and blinked slowly at it, as if annoyed at it for reminding me I had to get up for school.
Monday, I hate Monday's
I lazily threw on some clean clothes and brushed my long brown hair. I couldn't care any less about the day to come.
I grabbed my already packed bag and went down the stairs to the kitchen where I made a simple lunch and put it at the top of my pack.
My phone buzzed on the counter as it read message:Dad
Dad: morning Kido you alright?
Me: hey Dad yeah I'm fine just bout 2 leave 4 school ttyl
Dad: alright have a good day
Me: k u 2

I put the phone down and picked up a peach instead
My mum was running around cleaning things up for the open home today
"Alright Tessa have a good day " My mum said every morning as if she'd rehearsed it "and don't forget to give that form to the principal".
"Got it, bye" I quickly said while throwing my back over my shoulders and phone in my back pocket.
I jumped for the door when she called out one last time
"Hun your camera!" I jerked around reaching for my camera sitting next to the laptop
The door was shut and I was on my way. Findlay school was about 10 minutes form my house in Miranda Street.
My neighbourhood was quiet but friendly, we all knew each other like family, I guess that's why their all a bit sad me and mum are moving.
Ever since my parents divorced, she's already struggled with money, I guess this is just one of those things that happen to people.
I watched as full buses drove past with kids inside. I hated buses. I wonder what else today has in store for us all.
As I neared the school I swam past the crowds of kids towards the principals office.
An old lady sat at the reception desk, her glasses sitting on the edge of her nose, while she sipped her look warm coffee.
'Principal Dune' read in black on a large door.
I knocked and then a voice called out.
"Mr Dune is coming in late today, If you have an important message I pass it on" the old lady at the desk sighed as if she'd said the same sentence every day of her life.
"Thanks it just a form" I sat handing her the crumpled sheet out of my pocket. She just simply nodded in return.
I wondered off back into the storms of kids to find my friends.
At suddenly the bell rang, I quickly bolted for the hallways before the real traffic started.
I made to my locker and took out my biology books. As I turned the locker door back I saw Kendall making her way towards me. Her long blonde hair bouncing behind her as boys stared.
"Hey, did you hear?" She said in a whisper
"Yep, got the call this morning" I sighed
"What an awful thing, didn't you know her?" She asked
"Yeah kinda" I rubbed my tired puffy eyes
"They say they haven't caught the guy yet" she whispered cautiously
I looked at her "where'd you hear that?" I asked curious
"Brent told me his dad mentioned it to his mum" she smiled
I didn't have anything else to say
"Well I'll see you in sport" she smiled as strode off
I rolled my eyes smiling as I walked to bio class
The room was full and I must be late, I awkwardly took my seat and my books.
"Tessa" called a voice
I turned around and say Kyle smiling at me from the seat behind me.
Kyle and me where old friends, from kindergarten.
'Hey' I mouthed giving him a wave
Suddenly our teacher walked in holding the door open.
"Morning class" he said "first I'd like to introduce a new student here in Findlay high school" he smiled
A tall guy walked in, staunch and mysterious. He had long dark brown hair that lazily fell over his forehead, it looked in purpose though. His dark green eyes shone through the darkness of the room and made their way to me.
He had a chiseled jaw line and a fine built body.
I held his stare, slowly growing uncomfortable.
"Isaac" he introduced out loud
"Issac just moved here from Australia" Mr Lani said
Australia? He didn't have a trace of Australia accent in his voice
He gestured Isaac to take a sat, he slowly walked down the isle of seats.
As he passed me I caught his eye once more, a strange sensation. He took a seat next to Kyle, 2 seats behind me.
I felt as if he was staring into the back of my head, reading my thoughts.
I fought and resisted the urge to look back at him, clenching the side of my leg.
What is this? I've never felt this way towards a guy before.