Part 10

Tessa's POV

The song entered my room that morning carrying the cold heavy sadness of the winter.
The walls where damp and my bed sheets where cold.
I rolled over to see my phone buzzing on my side table. It was Kendall.
The time on the phone read 6:24am
I rolled my eyes at her timing, but picked up the phone anyway.
"Morning" i croaked
"Sh*t sorry did I wake you?" She asked surprised
"Yea nah I was just... getting up this early so I could be early to school" I said sarcastically.
"Uhh right right" she chuckled. I couldn't tell if she believed me or not.
"Kendall.....it's the weekend... and why the heck are you calling this early?" I asked
"Ok girl, well, I think there's seriously something wrong with Kyle" she said seriously
"You think?" I rolled my eyes again
"Tessa seriously, last night he made a move....on me!" She exclaimed
I narrowed my eyes, frowning.
"Where either of you drunk?" I said not taking her seriously
"Tessa! Trust me, ok" she said
"Ok so what! He made a move" I said sitting up on the edge of my bed, holding to sheets over my bare shoulders.
"I don't know, I thought I needed to tell you" she said
"Kendall, I'm not your relationship therapist, Ok, I'm your friend" I said
"We stick together, right?" I asked
"Yes right of course!" She perked up "but I can't look him in the eyes, it's like... he's another person" she said over dramatic.
"Then don't, hell apologies eventually" I reassured. She was quiet, all I could hear was the faint static.
"Look lets hang out today if it takes your mind off things" I suggested and then immediately regretted.
"Really? Sweet" she said excited
I sighed heavily and then faked a smile.
"Come round after breakfast" I said and hung up.
I sat on my bed staring at my wall, contemplating things.
My frosted window blurred the bare tree arms of the oak tree across the road. The Smokey colours of the morning sun stained the glass and began to brighten my room.
I picked up my camera from across the room and wiped away the frost on the window.
I focused on the tree, enhancing the colours from behind it.
Click
I threw on my rope and fluffy slippers.
Once down stairs I made myself some cereal and a strong coffee.
The room slowly began to brighten And once the clock struck 7 my mom was wide awake and ready for her morning run.
"Morning honey" she welcomed as she walked down the stairs in her workout clothes.
"Morning" I replied
"Got any juice left?" She asked peeping into my cup
"Yeah there's some in the pot" I pointed to the kitchen bench.
She poured herself the cold leftovers of the coffee and heated it up in the microwave.
"Remind me to get one of those instant coffee machine things" she said
"Oh you mean the ones we can't afford?" I said annoyingly
She stopped, turned and frowned at me.
"Maybe a birthday present.." she said.
"You'd use it more than me, besides your birthdays before mine" i said looking back down at my cereal.
"Exactly" she chuckled and came to sit next to me while slipping her shoes on.
"Kendall is gonna come round after breakfast today" I said
"Got any good photos?" She asked ignoring the questions and gesturing towards my camera I'd brought down with me.
"Mom did you hear me?" I asked annoyed
"Yes hun that's fine" she said.
There was an awkward silence and I struggled to find something to talk about.
"Um yeah I took a really neat photo this morning of the old oak tree in Mr Russels yard" I said switching the camera on.
I pulled up the photo and showed her.
"Hey that's pretty good, look I gotta Run, literally, ill see you in a bit" she said quickly, not batting an eye at the photo and zipping out the door.
I sighed emptily, and sadly.
I looked at the photo, my thumb against the keys.
I clicked the right arrow to look through the pictures throughout time.
Mostly photos of rivers and trees, those where the things I enjoyed photographing the most. And mountains.
I passed about 30 photos of random plants and people until I'd gone at least 2 weeks into the past. I looked at a photo of the school, I'd taken it a few days before Celia was found.
I stared at the evening sunlight upon the main hall and sign.
I felt sad, knowing when I'd taken that photo, Celia was alive, she wasn't floating alone in some cold river, lost. I should have become a better friend, maybe I could have changed things. What if I asked to hang out that night, I could have saved her.
I clicked the arrow, expecting another photo of some trees or sky shot, but instead what I came face to face with horrified me.
It was me, half naked upon my own bed. I all I wore was my silk nightware, with my hair loosely at my side while I lay on my sheets.
My eyes widened as I scrolled through the photos. There were at least 8 photos of birds eye views of me sleeping. I felt myself gag, I felt sick. I quickly shut off the camera I jumped off my chair. I held my head, panicking.
How is this possible, who would do that!?
Bang bang bang!
A pounding came from the front door and I screamed in fear, backing against the kitchen counter.
"Tessa!?" Called out Kendall's worried voice.
My head fell back in relief as I heard Kendall's voice.
I ran for the door letting her in.
"Sorry I'm early, I didn't know you'd be that angry, I can go if you want" she said worried.
"No no! Kendall..." I said my voice shaking and heart racing "you....you need to look" I said reaching for the camera, my hands trembling.
I turned it on and flicked through the photos to show her.
"Ooh sexy" she laughed obviously un aware
"Kendall!" I yelled
"What? Your a model for pyjamas?" She said confused
"I never took these! I locked my bedroom door! Only I have the key!" I said freaking out
"Uh...that doesn't make sense" she said trying to find an explanation
"It might have been Kyle...or..Isaac?" She said raising the possibility
"What?...but why? How?!" I said waving my hands
"Look i don't know ask him" she said
"I don't even have his number" I said holding my head
"Ok ok...lets just calm down" she said holding my shoulders
"I've got it! I've got an idea!" She said suddenly