Chapter 38- The Call

Blaze

It was already 12 midnight and I am in my bed when my phone ringed. I look at my phone and there is NO NUMBER appeared. Usually, hindi ko na sinasagot ang mga tawag na ganito. But at that moment I answer the phone. Siguro dahil gusto ko ng kausap. Bukas ang Stag Party ni Brix then kasal na nila sa susunod na araw.

"Hello,"
There is a dead silence at the other end.
"Hello," I said it again.

I heard someone breathe at the other end and my heart stops. I know that sound. It's her.

"Star," I whispered her name and close my eyes to listen further.
"I know it's you. I know it's you." Damn, my voice cracked.

"How did you know it is me?" I heard her voice for the first time in three years.
A smile broke on my face together with my tears that started to flow.
"I remember every breath that you do. Kamusta ka na?"
"Why?" Her voice broke at the other end and I can feel the sadness in her voice.

Why? Why do I keep going? Why do I keep holding?

"Why you didn't stop?"
"I won't stop loving you," I said honestly.
Basa na ang mukha ko dahil sa mga luha.
"Then why did you hurt me?"

"I thought... I thought I was saving you."
"From who? From you?"
"No. Love, listen, Ms. Rodriguez was blackmailing me at that time. She knew that we were dating and wanted to expose us and get you expelled. Love, remember I replied to you that I was in faculty at that time? She cornered me but I didn't kiss her back. I swear, I didn't kiss her back."
Kung nasa harapan ko lang si Star, nagmakaawa na ako sa kanya.

I know she is crying. I can hear it in her voice.

"Star, please don't cry. I can't bear it when you do."

The cry that she is doing hurts me. We are both wounded and she is crying at the other end and I can't hold her.

"Three years, Blaze." She cried out.
"I wasted three years." She whispered in between her sobs.

I listened to her sobbing while she pours all of her frustrations. I waited for her until she calmed until I can speak to her again.
"Kailan ka uuwi, Star?"
"I don't know if I can have the courage to look at you." Her voice started to break once more.
"Blaze, I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too, for not reaching out. I... followed your parent's decision to give you time to grow as your own. I did realize that the three years is what we needed, for you so you can finish your Masters and me, so I can present myself to your family, not as the person who snatched your academic achievements but the man that truly loves you."

Hindi tumitigil si Star sa kakaiyak.
"Tumahan ka na please, baka makita ka ni Lego sabihin pinaiyak na naman kita."
"Kuya is not here. Thank you, Blaze, for protecting me." She murmured.
"It's what I really wanted to do for you," I replied.

Natahimik na naman kaming dalawa. I like hearing her breathe. Kahit wala kaming pag-usapan, basta alam ko lang na nasa kabilang line siya.

"I need you to be back. I am still functioning because I know you will be back someday."
Huminga ng malalim si Star. "Things are different now, Blaze."
Namutla yata ako sa sinabi ni Star at napaupo sa kama.
"Please tell me I am not late, Star." I begged her.
"I dunno."
"Please,"
"I can't... I can't face you knowing it is me that broke whatever we had." Katwiran niya.
"Star, listen to me. I am nothing without you."
"Don't say that." She murmured. "Anyway, I have to go."
"Star," I begged.
"Take care, okay?"
"I love you." I said.
"I love you and I will wait until you are ready. I will wait. Ikaw lang,"
Narinig ko ulit ang pagsinghot ni Star sa kabilang line. She's crying once more. It stays that way for a minute then I heard the beep. She cut the line at hindi ko alam kung ano ang iisipin. She was there, I had a chance to explain. Did I convince her? Did she believe in me? Will she be back? Or did I lose her completely?

Damn, papasikat na ang araw pero hindi pa ako nakakatulog.
Mahal na mahal kita, Star.