What is there to love

"Please stop pulling." Alice winced as Angela thoughtfully pulled her hair back into a tight braid.

Angela didn't respond "Where the hell is Devon" Angela mumbled through a mouth full of bobby pins. Alice flinched as her long curls were yanked again backwards "hey!" she screamed as Alice groaned frustrated.

"I'm here, I'm here" Devon gasped as he stumbled through the door breathlessly, gripping a large brown paper bag.

"Finally!" Angela growled pulling the bag from him, causing him to stumble a few steps backwards.

Alice eyed the bag suspiciously. "I never agreed to any of this" Alice groaned pulling away as Angela tried to recapture her locks.

Devon gripped her shoulders tightly as Angela got to work brushing through her thick hair. Alice squirmed and resisted, all but kicking trying to get out of his grasp.

"Okay!" Alice finally screamed, tucking and rolling onto the floor.

"Come here, Alice" Devon cooed slowly emptying the bag onto her bed, revealing a bunch of different hair tools. "Come on, I'm really really good at this."

"Fine." Alice sighed "You can" she said pointing a finger to Devon who beamed, "You go sit over there." Alice muttered as she passed Angela- who crossed her arms.

Devon fixed up her hair as Alice did her makeup and Angela rummaged through all the clothes, throwing acceptable ones onto the the bed which now resembled no such thing.

"So" Devon mumbled as he teased the hair Angela had flattened back up, "Excited?"

Alice shrugged and stared at herself in the reflection, "Sort of I guess."

"Sort of?" Devon exclaimed offended, "For a date with Harry Potter? You're 'sort of' excited?"

"Yeah." Alice yawned and smudged on some golden eyeshadow.

"You're a disgrace." Angela hissed, poking her head out of the walk-in closet.

"Am I the only one in this room who doesn't want to make out with Harry Potter?"

"Yes!" Both sounded loudly. "Funny cause you're the one who doesn't who gets to go." Angela fumed.

"Funny since I'm the only eligible person here."

"Hmmpf" Devon rolled his eyes before pushing all the curls from the front of her shoulders to the middle of her back.

After another hour of preening, the two finally decided Alice was presentable enough to be let out; and not a moment too soon as the knock on the door alerted the three.

A small pain filled Alice's chest as she recalled an earlier memory similar to a situation that had happened.

She pushed the bitter feeling down and plastered a happy look onto her face, opening the door, she smiled.

Harry smiled down at her with an awkward flower in his hand, to which he placed in her hand, "You look lovely, Alice"

Alice swallowed as she took it "Thank you"
It wasn't a sunflower
"so where are we going?"

Harry led her covertly through the strange castle. It was nearly after curfew, a tense creaking and forced anticipation drew breath in every step they took as they swayed down stair case to stare case.

Harry smiled thoughtfully as he envisioned the little picnic he'd set out by the lake. He hoped Alice didn't mind the cold of the new January air but; there were ways to keep warm.

Suddenly Alice's step staggered as she turned towards some comment Harry had made that she didn't quite hear.

She made a soft sound as she felt her legs started to shake beneath her. "Alice?" Harry's eyebrows drew.

Alice' s eyes locked with a familiar pair of iced blue eyes. "H-Harry can you give me a second?" She squeaked, stabilizing herself on the boy's shoulder. Harry followed her gaze and his mouth clicked into a straight line.
"Make it quick, love" He mumbled and continued walking for the front opening.

Draco avoided her eyes as she approached him, looking literally anywhere else.

"Draco." Alice finally grabbed his attention at her unfamiliar cold voice. "Look at me."

He did. And what he saw was not the girl he had fallen in love with. This girl looked sad, broken.

"What do you want" he kept his voice steady as his heart wanted to shred itself up all together "I don't have time to talk to you"

Alice looked taken aback, "Listen to me, I still love you, I.." She paused and looked down at her feet, "I don't care what anyone says okay? I love you and I want to be with you." She said taking both his hands.

Whatever she had been expecting it was Draco to snatch his hands away like her hands were laced with hot metal.

"And what makes you think I could love the likes of you?" Draco sneered.

Alice blinked slowly, her eyebrows drawing together, "Draco I-"

"You thought you were so special didn't you." Draco continued, "You're not special girl, you were convenient."

Tears fell out of her baby blue eyes. She didn't even care her makeup was smearing.
"I thought you'd changed" she choked.

Draco stood before her, eyes clenched shut. He refused to look at her.

Alice clutched her sides. It was clear to her now. It was so painfully, obviously clear.
He simply didn't care.
She'd been living in a fantasy. A fantasy where she and the boy she loved would live happily ever after.
Another cry escaped her lips.

He wanted to hold her. He wanted to kiss her. Kiss her all over, tell her it wasn't what she thought, that things weren't what they seemed.

"I thought you loved me."

Draco snorted.

And it was in that moment, Alice knew things were over. It was that moment her world tumbled down around her. In that moment, the stars fell like rain.
She pushed past him through the door.

Draco let out a terrible, mangled sound. A sob broke through his teeth. It was the kind of sob that shook your entire body. The kind of sob that made your heart falter.
Hot tears stung his eyes as her last words played over and over inside his mind.

He hit the wall with his fists. He didn't feel the pain. He hit it again. Again. Again.
He stared down at his bloody wrists.
"I thought you loved me." Her words repeated.
A final sob leaking out as he cried.

"So did I."