dinner part 1

Holidays at the Chandler's wasn't nearly as unbearable as Draco had originally planned. The uneventful months from his family's experiences had always been- well uneventful.

The quaint bungalow always smelt of various holiday spices and sugars, the fireplace was always roaring and the energy inside was always warm and welcoming. Even when Sunny was in the room he actually seemed to enjoy himself; he must been more content in his own home, no matter how beaten up it was..

There were definitely improvements that could be made, Draco noticed, starting with the torn up porch out front. The house itself was falling apart, chipped paint and random holes, uneven flooring even drafty, broken windows. Draco surprising didn't mind too much.

Draco quite enjoyed lounging around on the sofa curled up in Christmas socks and holiday clothing Ms Chandler had made for him; though he'd never admit it.
"Sorry for the mess dear," Ms Chandler worried sweeping under his elevated feet for the billionth time.

"Ms Chandler, that's really not necessary." He hushed knowing it wouldn't do any good. He ran his fingers over Alice's head that was nuzzled into his chest.

The woman barley acknowledged him as she continued her sweep to the fireplace. Something seemed to catch her eye on top the mantel. She sighed indiscreetly picking up a small jar of money. There couldn't be more than 40 pounds inside.

Sunny stopped his stride from the bottom of the stairs to the kitchen to peer inside the room at his mother.
His face softened significantly as he observed his mother's shoulders rise and fall.

"Mom" he soothed rushing and pulling her to her side, wrapping his arms around her.

"I'm fine-!" She whimpered into his chest. She trailed her fingers under her watery blue eyes. "Sunny, I'm", she took a heavy breath staring up at him. Draco pretended to interest himself with the coaster on the coffee table.

"I'll get you that new robe next year, one that fits you properly-" She pushed the jar towards him "Alice won't be growing anymore she won't need another-"

Sunny pushed it away from him like it was a full of venom. "Mom, no, I'm okay, I promise, you need that money here, to take care of you and Lizzy-"

"We're okay! We can still-" She blubbered right before bursting into quiet tears. "Still got that job at the bakery and Miss Hamilton next door just loves Lizzy to pieces so she watches over her when I'm-" She shook a few breaths she'd forgotten to take.

Sunny wrapped his arms around her again. She placed her palms on the back of his chest. "Mama.. You're working too hard.. Please let me make dinner."

She shook her head like she was in a fit. "No, no I can make dinner, I can do that much-"

"At least let me help."

She sighed, realizing he wasn't budging.

Draco became painfully aware of the bag of rocks he felt in his stomach. All the times he'd brandished Sunny for his sloppy appearance, the state of his belongings and scathing remarks of smuggling food, calling him all sorts of foul things.. He hated himself.
* Flashback*
~Sunny's POV~
My stomach growled furiously. He wanted nothing more than to stuff his face but I couldn't till mom'd finished dinner.

I didn't have a care in the world, laughing as I stomped through my reflection on the slippery sidewalk. "Sunny." A stern voice chided. I didn't turn around but I felt myself flinched.
"Sorry, papa."
I hung my head as he snapped. He clutched my hand tightly pulling me out of the gutter.

The streets were uncomfortably quiet tonight as the sun set behind the monstrous skyscrapers, turning the sky a inky blue. There was a slight tone of panic in my father's voice that had set my gut into a tight fit.

"You know you're not supposed to be out after dark, your mothers' worried sick." His father had a slight tremor but talked too quickly for it to be too distinguishable.

Sunny's face fell in shame. He hated disappointing them.

"You're a big boy now Sunny, you need to start taking care of them." Dad spoke quietly as we marched back to our house.
"You need to start becoming responsible, maybe get a job-"

"Why papa?"

We stopped walking. I gazed up at him. He rubbed his blonde stubbily chin; he sighed picking me up.

"Sunny.. If anything ever happens to me, you will be all mommy and Alice have. You will need to be able to help and support this family."

I saw his eyes soften as my brow furrowed, "What's gonna happen to you, daddy?"

Papa smiled warmly kissing my forehead. He let his lips linger for a second, "Nothing buddy." he clutched me tight to his chest "I'm never leaving you behind."

* *
Sunny clutched the edge of the stove like he was trying to stabilize it during an earthquake. His shoulders were shaking and it looked like he was threatening to fall over.

"What's wrong, Sunny?" Alice asked placing a loving hand on his
shoulder.

"Nothing, get off." He murmured shrugging her hand away.

He took a deep breath continuing to stir the potatoes.

"What's your problem." Alice asked taking a bite of an apple.

"Did you really just take the last apple."

"I did, wanna share it?"

"We're about to eat dinner."

"Oh good, then you won't be needing it."

Sunny took a deep breath before spinning around grabbing for the fruit.

"Ey- Ey! Paws off!" She screamed fighting in a sea of arms.

"Fuck." He screamed as he hit his elbow on the linoleum. Alice laughed mockingly but Sunny then rolled over pulling her ankle down and pinning her shoulders to the floor leaving her motionless.

Alice managed to squirm out from underneath him and tried to crawl away but Sunny just grabbed her foot and dragged her back. pinning her hands above her shoulders.

"Give me that fucking apple back you son of a bitch." Alice growled reaching.

"Oh, this apple?" He taunted slobbering his tongue over the entire surface.

"You bastard! You absolute-"

Alice's head swiveled as she noticed a flash of movement from the doorway.

"Oh, um sorry, I'm not interrupting I hope."

"Speaking of bastards.." Sunny mumbled standing up. He leaned against the counter and stared at Draco while taking a bite.

"Not interrupting a thing. Come help me set the table."

Alice kicked Sunny in the shin on her way out causing him to curse and drop the apple; which she skillfully caught and took a bite of.