dinner part 2

Draco sat somewhat awkwardly next to Alice at the small kitchen table. Sunny was seated across him and Elizabeth had insisted on sitting on his other side. Ms Chandler sighed as she set the last plate down and sat next to her son. "That should do it! Sunny? Will you please say grace?"
Draco's eyebrows pinched together as Alice and Elizabeth took his hands. Draco tilted his head respectfully as Sunny spoke a blessing over the food. Once he finished, they dig into the meal

Dinners at the manor were never so lively. The four Chandlers seemed comfortable and content with their dinner, even though there wasn't much. Mashed potatoes, a chicken dish, and out of season blueberries.
Sunny, Alice, and Elizabeth laughed and poked fun at each other making Draco feel a sense of longing for a sibling.

The children laughed loudly while they ate and Ms Chandler smiled warmly watching them.

They told stories, talked about anything, told jokes, it was heavenly. Draco loved being around them. He even began to tell his own stories, appropriate ones that didn't make him sound like a tosser at least. He laughed more, smiled more, and he guessed he had Alice to thank for that. Even Sunny had noticed his change. He watched Draco skeptically across the table with his arms crossed tightly against his chest. Elizabeth was simply fascinated by Draco's tales of the wizarding world and asked him constant questions. Draco quite enjoyed the attention and answered her questions happily.

She watched Draco come out of his shell during dinner. She wanted to show him. They didn't have much but what she had, she could give him. She scooted her chair backwards after awhile and picked up her plate.
"Mama? Can Draco and I go out for awhile?"

Ms Chandler leaned back and checked the time. "It's getting late, darling."

"We won't be long."

The woman sighed gazing into her daughter's begging puppy dog eyes.

"Be back soon."

Before Draco stood up Alice grabbed his arm and pulled him outside. Alice was running through the property, laughing loudly and spinning.
Draco laughed at her and chased after, embracing her in his arms.

The night was cold, the sky full of stars.

After a short walk, Alice led him to a small pond. Crickets chirped loudly and frogs croaked heavily.
Alice stood in Draco's arms, leaning her head back against his chest.

They watched the still water, glancing at their shimmering reflections stare back at them.

A chilly breeze blew past and Alice shivered. Draco clutches her closer, kissing her cheek. His lips lingered and he kissed her again, and again, and again. Alice smiled, turning to meet his lips. He kissed her contently, moaning slightly. Alice pulled away, staring into his dark eyes.

Draco stood, staring into her shimmery eyes. He sighed before smiling, "Stars, hide your fires; let not light see my black and deep desires."

Alice smiled and tilting her head before tossing her hair to the side. "You quoted Shakespeare."

Draco smiled, holding her in his arms, "I know you love him."

"Do you know I love you?"

Draco didn't smile but stared down at her noticing the darkness confining then.

"Why?" he asked softly.

Alice tilted her head, "Why?"

"Why do you love me.. I'm such a terrible- you're perfect, you shouldn't be with someone so- so-"

"Draco" she took his hands and placed them on her chest, "You're not terrible. I'm not perfect, and I want to be with you Draco, I love you."

"You shouldn't." His chin quivered. He dropped his hands but prayed she wouldn't let his hands go. She didn't. "My family.. They've ruined lives, ruined families-"

"Draco, you are not your family-"

"They destroyed your family."

Alice dropped his hands making his heart physically hurt.

Draco sniffled, he promised he'd never tell her. He had to. He had-

"What do you mean." Her voice sounded broken.

Draco took deep breaths, looking anywhere but up. He'd written his father last week, begging him to tell him about the Chandlers. He begged that his father had nothing to do with them but the things Sunny had told him unnerved him, causing him to seek answers.

Draco tugged the parchment from his pocket as Alice ripped it from his grasp

"Dear Draco
Your mother was disappointed to find your first letter home in six years would be to address a business question but she insisted I write you back and tell you the truth.

Anthony Chandler was an American muggle fascinated by the wizarding world. He was an enthusiast, obsessed with finding information about the occult. He found it, found out some encrypting information and he was disposed of.

My son, have you any information about Anthony Chandler or his intentions you must discuss it with me immediately. This is not a man or a family to be trifled with. They will bring ruin to our family name.

Write me back as soon as you get this letter, Draco. Don't be stupid, uphold your family's name.

Lucius Malfoy "

She clutched the letter. Draco watched her knuckles turn an unsettling shade of white. She breathed quickly, tears threatening to spill over.

"Alice-" Draco tried. He couldn't lose her. Not again.

"Please don't."

Draco exhaled loudly "Alice-"

She took a step forward and Draco stiffened as she threw her arms around him.
"It doesn't matter Draco, I know you had no idea."

Draco was at a loss. How was she not screaming, crying, threatening and it killing him? He had no words.
She should be screaming, throwing fists, cursing him, yelling she never wanted to see him again. But there she stood, cradled in his arms and Draco was sure now. This was the girl. This is the girl that the stars shine for.

(sorry this was short, badly written, boring. I'll do better next time I swear. -✌🏻💛)