for everyone to see

He cleared his throat.
"Professor."

"Miss Chandler." he said coldly.

She stared at his shoes. "Professor Snape."

"I'm not going to ask what you were doing in there."

"We weren't -" His voice sounded strained.

Snape dismissed him with his hand "I've expected it for awhile." He stepped past him, into the closet staring down at Alice.

"Miss Chandler." His voice was softer now but still cold.

She bit her bottom lip, gazing up at him. He looked at her with sympathy. She noticed something new in his dark eyes.. Like a slow burning memory that never quite burned out.. He looked as if he wanted to put his hands on her shoulders but thought better of it.

"You need to focus on your studies. Your grade is slipping."

She smiled sadly at him, "My grades' always been slipping, I'm no good at potions." She whispered.

Snape's brow drew close together as he pursed his lips. He stared down at her and sighed, kneeling down so they were eye level.

"Alice, you are a smart girl. You just need to find foothold so you can get ahead of your classes."

Alice was shocked. She swallowed. Her throat felt tight. She smiled so graciously that even Snape gave her an actual lopsided smile.

He suddenly straightened and shoved a finger in Malfoy's direction.
"And you."

Draco instantly put his hands up in surrender.

"Be grateful I'm not having a word with your father about this."

Draco swallowed "I-I'm certain he would be angry on a couple stages about this one.."

"Precisely why I will not be getting involved." he paused turning toward Alice and pointing, "But if this happens again.." He let his words trail off, letting his silence proclaim the consequence.

Alice smiled that smile that convinced people she might actually be from heaven. That smile that made you feel warm inside.

One of the corners of Snape's mouth twitched up.
He made a gesture for them to get on with their day.

When they were sure they were out of his sight, he took her hand in his.

"I think he's starting to warm up to you, Alice." He mumbled, kissing her temple.

Alice smiled.

As they rounded the staircase, she noticed a group of their Slytherin classmates standing facing away from them.
She gasped.

Draco followed her eyes and all but tossed her hand away.

The group turned at the sound.

"What's going on here?" A girl named Pansy asked suspiciously.

Draco crossed his arms over his chest and shrugged "What do you mean?"

A blonde girl scrunched her nose up, putting her hands on her hips. "Who's your little friend, Malfoy?"

He turned towards Alice, pretending not to notice her there before.

"Well what do you want then?" He sneered at her.

Alice stood silent; hurt but understanding.

"Sorry- I um-" Alice mentally cursed herself. It wasn't like her to be at a loss for words but she couldn't escape Draco's glare.
She took a shallow breath.
"I was just trying to get around you- I'm sorry" She rushed past the group.