the tracks we walk

They were only just boarding the train home when Draco groaned  impatiently. There was a mob of students blocking the entrance. They had been first in line but Sunny had to run back to the school to grab something he'd forgotten and Alice had insisted they wait for him.
Draco was convinced he'd don't it on purpose to agitate him.

Sunny came into the setting sun a couple hundred meters back gesturing frantically for them to enter the train as the whistle blew. Without hesitation, Draco pulled her inside.

He led her down the corridors past empty compartments frantically being filled by students.

"Draco where are we going?" Alice asked as he pulled her into a part of the train she'd never been before.

"We aren't sitting back here" he said distastefully.

He led her to a private looking room near the front of the train. She could see a few familiar faces behind the small window but besides that it looked pretty empty.

As Draco slid the door open, it was suddenly halted by a boy looking Alice up and down.

"Move, Blaise." He said impatiently shifting the way he carried his luggage.

Blaise pursed his lips and glared coldly down at Alice.

"Sorry." He said as chilly as his stare
"All full."

Draco tried to push past him but every time he tried to move, Blaise would block him.

"Of course we have room for one more"

"Let us in, Blaise"

"Sorry." he sneered "Pure bloods only."

Emily suddenly appeared behind him looking apologetic.
"Come on, Blaise, it's alright" she said quietly

"Oh you can join them if that's what you want." he snapped towards her.

Emily bit her lip staring sadly at her friend. Alice smiled weakly at her.

"It's okay, Draco, we can sit somewhere else."

"No, we're sitting here."

"Draco." she pulled him close to her, forcing him to break his intense stare towards his fellow Slytherin "There just seats. Imagine how awkward it'd be if I sat in here." she laughed sadly "Just go ahead, I'll sit with Sunny."

Draco considered this for a second before sighing.

Alice had turned to find some empty seat.

"That's right, watch your back you worthless little mud-"
There was a loud thunk and when Alice turned back around she saw a bloody nose and Draco angrily leading her back down the train by her elbow.

              »«««««««««««»

They hurried past nearly completely occupied slots in attempts to find any empty ones. Most of the occupants seemed welcoming of Alice but once they saw who was trailing behind her, they quickly averted their eyes.

They eventually found Sunny sitting alone in a compartment and as Alice breathed a sigh of relief, they hurried inside. She turned around to see a very disturbed looking Draco.
She'd forgotten he'd probably never been this far away from first class before in his life. She suddenly became concerned how he would adjust the the below middle class charms of the muggle world..

She quickly pulled him inside sitting next to him across from her brother.

"I suppose I should probably warn you." She started closing the sliding door. "There's no magic in our world-"