the butterfly feeling

Draco sat alone in his common room. It was late, after hours but he didn't care if he got in trouble. He wasn't tired. Goyle was snoring anyway.

Draco let out an exasperated sigh as he tipped his head back.

What was this feeling? He felt like he'd swallowed a hundred butterflies. But, they weren't stirring. He read about this feeling, the kind that felt like tiny butterflies were flying around inside you; but apparently his butterflies decided to count for nothing. He was angry. His butterflies were supposed to make him fell good, not feel worse. Like there was an unremovable weight in his stomach.

The door creaked open and Draco froze, begging it wasn't anybody important.
A seventh year walked though as he gently closed it behind him.

Draco scoffed. It wasn't anybody important at all.
Draco had a reputation of bullying anyone of improper but he had a particular hatred for Sunny.

Not only was Sunny a muggle born in Slytherin, he was also dirt poor, but that still wasn't Draco's main instigator.
No matter how much he tortured Sunny, what language he used, he would never get angry.

He'd show no emotion and use such wit and amusement.
No matter what he tried, Sunny all but ignored him, knowing it would tip him off the most. Draco hated it.

"Well chav, out for a midnight stroll, or is it easier to walk at night to hide your shame."

Sunny plopped down on the cushion next to him, a little closer than he should have, knowing it would annoy Draco.

Draco glared and shifted away.

"The pain of being such a disappointment maybe. How does it feel being the most shameful Slytherin in Hogwarts history."

Sunny looked down at the floor.
It was true his dad was a muggle. It was true he didn't have an alarming amount of money. It was also true his robe came just past his ankles because he couldn't afford to buy a new one.

But he smiled at him.
The kind of biting, prideful smile that said "I have just the same right to be here as you do."

Draco grimaced.
"You realize Slytherin wasn't meant to have such abominations as you, don't you?"

"Oh Draco, such a flirt. Listen if you ever have anything intelligent to say to me, anything that's actually worth my time to hear, you know where I'll be." he flashed him the same smile before walking to his dorm.

Draco sat in shock. It felt like his bones were full of lead. He hated him. The unbreakable Sunny. He hated him so much but couldn't get past his admiration for the lad.

Someone who had such a fire to stand up for themselves was just so remarkable to him. He was used to Sunny's scathing words by now so why, this time, had it fazed him so?

A certain short, blonde girl popped into his mind.

Sunny's reaction reminded him of Alice. Of course Alice's words had been much nicer and more full of joy but what else could you expect of a Hufflepuff.

A Hufflepuff.

He had no idea he'd actually been attracted to her when she told him off. And that must have been why he couldn't stop staring at her in potions. He'd always found her cute but when he actually stopped and looked at her, he had to admit, he was surprised by her appearance.
Her beautiful sunshine hair, the way she smiled with her entire body, the way the sun danced off those dazzling crystal eyes-