Chapter 3 - In Memoriam

Start from the beginning

The next morning, Terra cracked a smile as she opened up the shed that held her pride and joy. She stood a moment to admire it. Dark gray with chrome fenders, the motorcycle was not at all flashy, but had a sleek and powerful elegance like a panther prepared to strike. With an eighty kW electric motor, it could outrun most any vehicle on the road, and an oversized power-cell meant it would go long distances before needing a recharge.

Powerful, good looking, and responsive. Kind of like the perfect man.

Terra opted to take her motorcycle rather than a Blue Uprising approved transport — not that she asked permission, though. Two leather saddlebags carried the normal things for a long road trip — extra clothes, a toiletry kit, a jug of water, and some snacks — but also a set of steel fighting spikes. A bedroll and small tent were included in case roadhouses became hard to find. The weather looked to be perfect this late summer day, and she looked forward to the long ride. Dressing for comfort, she wore low-heeled boots, gray cargo pants, and a light jacket over a stretchy black t-shirt.

She rolled the cycle out, tied her long black hair into a ponytail, and slipped on a set of round goggles. As she took off, the motor whine gave her tingles of exhilaration.

The traffic thinned as the city disappeared behind, so she opened up the throttle even more. The speed, the acceleration, the lateral forces on the turns, the wind, the smells of the country, and the open road view all produced a mix of physical and emotional pleasure like nothing else could. Her body relaxed and mood improved.

Maybe this mission will not be so bad. Good to get away for a while.

Terra rode through the whole day, only stopping a few times for needed breaks. Tall misty trees on the seaside mountains gave way to drier vegetation as she wound through high passes, eventually descending into the lower semi-arid plains, where cacti mingled with gnarled trees and clumps of dry grass. Irrigated crop fields appeared along riversides like pieces of a patchwork quilt. Other than a few farmsteads and a smattering of small towns, there were few signs of civilization. Homes seen from the highway were mostly rundown, displaying signs of poverty. People here eked out a survival here.

As the sun touched the horizon behind her, Terra spied a tavern and stopped for a meal. It seemed to be a respectable establishment, a bit ramshackle perhaps, but mostly well kept. Tires crunched on gravel as she pulled in. There were no other vehicles and no other patrons inside. Hanging lights with colored glass shades provided dim but adequate light. A long scuffed and scratched wooden bar lined with high stools dominated one side of the tavern, while a dozen tables and booths occupied the other. A pretty young waitress with braided blonde hair greeted Terra with a welcoming expression and directed her to a booth. The bartender did not look up, apparently occupied with some hidden task.

The waitress returned after a moment. "What would you like?"

Terra glanced again at the menu board and asked, "How spicy is the chili?"

The woman grinned. "Any hotter we would need an onsite medical team."

Terra returned the grin. "Perfect. I'll take a bowl along with a mug of your ale."

The waitress nodded and walked into the kitchen, soon returning with a steaming bowl, two thick slices of brown bread on a small plate, and a large frothy mug, all balanced precariously on hands and arms.

Terra sipped the chili and pursed her lips as the spicy heat spread through her mouth. "This is wonderful!"

"Let me know if you need anything else," the waitress replied with an approving nod.

Terra continued to slurp her chili as beads of sweat formed on her brow, much to her satisfaction.

Some moments later, three young men swaggered into the tavern, possibly in the initial stages of a full drunk. Boasting loudly with each other about past sexual conquests, they took seats at the bar. The bartender gulped as he looked over at them. One man, apparently the leader of the three, had a slick tailored look of upper-class, with a jutted chin and upturned nose that screamed self-importance. The other two did not seem so upper-crust, but probably wanted to be.

This looks like trouble.

Slick, as Terra named him, leered at the waitress and quieted his companions with a gesture. "Look who we have here. Hey Rai, why don't you come over and give us your special service?"

The barkeeper ducked out the back as the waitress, Rai, replied. "You guys need to back on up and go home. We need no problems here."

"Rai, is that any way to greet me? You know who I am."

Rai's face paled as Slick jumped from the stool and approached her, pinning her in a corner with arms on her shoulders. His grinning friends flanked him. She opened her mouth to protest, but he silenced her with a thumb to her lips while stroking her cheek with his fingers. "You really should be more friendly, Rai," he cooed.

Terra seethed. It is unwise for an agent to bring unnecessary attention to herself, but I cannot let this continue.

Straightening up in the booth, Terra said in a firm voice, "You heard her. Let her be and leave."

The men snapped their heads around, surprised at the challenge. Turning away from the waitress, they sauntered toward Terra, taking positions around the booth and glaring at her with narrowed eyes. Terra mentally shifted into the aura, being careful not to reveal the extent of her Talent. The leader glowed in the aura, indicating a moderately powerful Talent, although probably not as strong as her, while the muted glows of the other two showed relatively low levels of Talent. Terra rose to meet them.

Slick moved in closer to Terra, face to face, and sneered. "Mind your own business, cunt! Or do you just want me for yourself?" His friends snickered. "Do you know who I am?"

"Let me guess," Terra replied with a sarcastic grin. "Someone out of his depth in a parking lot puddle? No? Some entitled arsehole who thinks he can push people around. Am I getting close?"

One man chortled, but then quieted when Slick shot him a pointed glare. He turned back to Terra and put on a half-smile. "Funny, bitch. But you don't want to mess with me."

Terra stepped out of the booth, coming nose to nose with him. "Oh, you don't want me to let my inner bitch out, Slick. I usually regret that, but damn can she kick arse."

The man scowled in anger and jumped back to cast a telekinetic push toward Terra. She blocked and countered, knocking him back a few more steps, and then turned her attention to the other men. With practiced precision, she telekinetically pinched the carotid arteries in their necks. Having disrupted the flow of blood to their brains, they collapsed in seconds. She then released the pinch, leaving them sprawled about on the floor.

Seeing an opening, Slick cast another push and knocked Terra back onto the booth table, spilling the remaining chili and ale. He walked forward with a smirk, as if thinking the fight now won. Terra, still prone on the table, looped her power around his neck, squeezing his windpipe, then lifted him until he floated in the air. Breathless, he flailed against the unseen force. Only a faint gargling sound came from his open mouth.

Terra pulled herself off the table and on to her feet. Coming near, she glared up into his eyes as he floated, her jaw clenched. "So, how does this feel? Are you important now? I've taken down so many like you."

Terra extended a hand, symbolically squeezing the air. Slick's body quivered as the force tightened around his throat. Rage surged through Terra like a flood, urging her to exact a sentence of suffering against this miserable man.

"Please don't hurt him!" The waitress pleaded, coming beside Terra. "Look, thank you for standing up for me, but I can handle him. He gets this way sometimes when he drinks too much."

Terra released her hold, and he slumped to the floor, gasping for breath. The waitress rushed over and kneeled beside him. The bartender rushed back in from the kitchen and pointed toward the door. "The law will be here in a few minutes. Best you leave now."

For a moment, Terra stilled, then walked slowly out the door with head bowed. There was nothing more to say. She mounted her motorcycle and rode off into the fading light, her face solemn.

Anna,what have I become?