Chapter 1 - Mission Parameters

Start from the beginning

Terra allowed herself a reluctant respect for Ian's display of raw power as she watched, but his technique was sloppy and chaotic. Innocent people fell victim to his lack of control. The Blue Uprising was supposed to rescue the downtrodden general public from the evils of the Sage Dynasty, not hurt them.

Anger throbbed deep in her veins. "Ian, you arsehole. Ease up on collateral damage. We are supposed to be the good guys. Remember?" she yelled over the com.

"Shove it up your own arse, Terra, and do your job!" he hissed in reply.

Terra seethed. She had no option but to continue with the plan. Ian's intrusion into the aura when he used his telekinetic abilities would alert every Talented Dynasty Enforcer in the area. With the currency of surprise now spent, she climbed down from the roof and snuck through a narrow alleyway to the back of the town hall, a sprawling one-level white building. Utilizing psi-surgery skills that allowed her to work on a small scale, Terra visualized the door internal lock mechanism and released it, then quietly passed inside to a dark hallway. With the pending public announcement at the stadium, there would be few people inside. Making her way to the mayor's office, Terra closed the door behind her. Tiny beams of sunlight that filtered between the closed window blind slats provided dim illumination. She sat down on the brown high-back chair behind the polished wooden desk, swiveling back and forth while stroking the soft leather.

Now I wait.

The plan was relatively simple, or so she originally thought. The mayor had left his office earlier to deliver a public speech formally pledging allegiance to the Sage Dynasty. Ian attacked as a distraction. Then, following normal protocol, the security guards would rush the mayor back towards his office, finding Terra waiting for them. She planned to use her psi-surgical ability to sever the mayor's aorta internally for a quick and clean kill.

The mission objective would be achieved with the assassination of the mayor, all for the sin of leaving the Blue Uprising. No stranger to killing as an experienced Blue Uprising Agent, the life of many corrupt Dynasty officials and Enforcers ended by her hand with barely a twinge of remorse. But this mission left a sour feeling in her gut from the start.

What is it?

Security for the mayor seemed light under the circumstances, like they didn't really care for his safety. And two days prior, while stalking the mayor, she noticed him pleading with his Dynasty handlers, tears on his face. A framed picture laid face down on the desk within easy reach. Turning it over revealed a picture of the smiling mayor with his family, a wife and three small children. But she had not seen his family anywhere over the last week. Terra's breath halted as a tingle crawled down her spine.

His family. He had not willingly betrayed the Blue Uprising.

Two uniformed Dynasty guards pushed the despondent mayor into his office and slammed the door behind them. Their jaws dropped as they gazed into Terra's narrowed amber eyes. Before they could raise their rifles, she slammed the guards hard against the far wall with a mental telekinetic push. They slumped down to the floor, unconscious.

The mayor trembled as he lifted his hands up, face paled. Terra took a brief moment to observe him. The red sash designating his public office crossed his black suit. A short man, Terra looked down on him as she stood. Despite thinning brown hair, he still seemed relatively young for a small city mayor. Most telling, though, was a single tear that rolled down a cheek on an otherwise resigned face. At that moment, Terra changed the mission parameters.

I'm going to catch hell for this.

"They have your family, don't they," she stated in an even tone.