MAHIR

I heard some songs, and the most loud one was HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

I heard some songs, and the most loud one was HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. I open my eyes to see whole my gang standing before me, clapping and swaying themselves, like they did when we were in nursery. I laughed at them still in my sleep.
And then I realized it was my birthday today! Damn! How did I forget!?
I sat up, still trying to shoe away the sleep, when I heard a familiar voice singing the same song, from my side. I turned only to receive a shock as I saw Bela, sitting near me, on my bed with a cake having lighted candle of my initial M. I was shocked, would be an understatement.
"Bela!!", I uttered in the voice that well displayed my shock. And I forgot almost everyone around me. She smiled at me! Shit! That's where I lose my composure. Her hairs waved like she was a beautiful fairy. I wished it wasn't a dream.
Just then, someone slapped on my head. I, annoyed turned to see and found Vyom, "Even we are here!!"
"Oh yes!", I said and everyone laughed at it.

"Cut the cake Mahir!", Bela said giving me the knife. I blow off the candle and cut the cake feeding everyone. Even Suhani was here.
"Thank you so much everyone...I am feeling awesome right now.", Till then everyone was settled on my bed in a circle. Bela was near me and I was feeling great. Then, I realized that I am making my bet a matter of feelings! That's wrong.

"Tell us you're feeling awesome because Bela is here!", Yuvi said playfully.
I nodded in yes and said, "You would have sent her only, why you all took so much pain!", earning a punch from Bela.

I looked out of the window to find that it started raining.
"Damn it! It's raining...!", said Suhani.
"Oh c'mon Suhani, you can stay with me!", said Pratham.
Pratham, Vyom and me were having apartments in the same building. Suhani and Pratham, were serious about each other. Pratham confessed that he's in love with Suhani and there relationship was taken to another level. However, that's not my concern. But it was decided that Suhani would stay with him.

Yuvi blinked at me, "So Bela can stay with you and we all will move to Vyom's."
I see Bela a bit disturbed, so tried to make it easy, "No problem...we will see to it."
Yuvi was a brat and I usually avoided his company. After a lot more chit chat, everyone left when it was 1:30 am.

I dropped them to the door and Bela, by default was left behind. She had no option. Pratham Suhani were going to have a good time, and I don't think she'll like to spoil it, so without protesting she stayed back.

I come back to my room after locking the main door, taking care I take back my spare keys.
I saw her standing near the window, fidgeting with her phone. I went to her and saw nervousness clearly visible on her face.
"Mahir! The rain has calmed down.. I think I should go. I have my car.", I know she was afraid that I may take advantage of this situation.
"Bela don't worry, I won't do anything.", I have adopted her habit of being straight..
"Mahir... not that...but you know...", She stammered. I haven't seen her this nervous anytime before.
If it would have been any other girl, I would have probably ended sleeping with her on the bed. But she was Bela.
I went to the cupboard and brought a blanket, "I am going out on the couch. You can sleep on the bed and make sure you close the door. No one knows when my mood changes!", I laughed and finally saw her tension release.
I was leaving when she said, "Thank you Mahir!", I nodded saying, "It's Sunday. So I won't wake up before 12! You can be here!"

I wonder what has happened to me. This seems so strange. A girl is in my room, and I am trying to hit on her. She's in a way ready to be my girlfriend. I would have won the bet tonight only. Don't know from where these gentle-manly instincts woke up.

I was lying on the couch and these thoughts made me stand up with the determination to complete my task tonight. I felt a thud in my heart, but it was not Mahir Sehgal!
Am I afraid of a girl! That's not me.

I go towards my room. I asked her to close the door and now I was regretting it. I gave a slight push to the door hoping to find it closed, but my heart skipped a beat when it wasn't.
Why did she not close the door?
The question occupied my mind and with that I moved in. I gently went near the bed and saw her sleeping at the same place, where I usually sleep, at the center of the bed. My blanket covered her.
She looked serene and yet breath-taking. This girl did wonders to me. I avoid sitting on the bed and suddenly felt breathless. I moved out of the room and came back to the couch. I was panting hard, even more than I do after workout.
Stabilizing myself I realized that probably she wanted to trust me with this.
"Trust is a big thing Mahir...and probably for the first time in my life, I am trusting someone with my heart!"
Her words rang through my ear. I cursed myself for even thinking to go to the room and do something wrong.
And with this guilt, I slept without even caring about the blanket or the pillow I brought for myself.

I wake up and found it was 9 am. I usually don't get up at this time, but I did to check on Bela. She must be thinking to leave. I pull myself out of the blanket.
Wait! Blanket...but I....a smile crept on my face when the possibility blinked in my mind.
I knocked on the door and a voice comes, "Come in Mahir!"
I go in to find her doing her wet hairs.
"You have had bath!", I asked as if in shock.
"Yes...I am a early riser...not like you who spends half of the day on bed!", She said chuckling.
I eyed her, "Hello! It was Sunday...and By the way my birthday too...I should feel like a prince!"
"Yes! A prince who sleeps on couch!", as she laughed.
"Just for you!", I said in a second and then saw her looking at me with a different look through the mirror.
"By the way, I like your room!", She said.
"You can come here more frequently!", I said playfully.
"Yes of course! Only if you sleep on couch!", and we both laughed at this.

I looked around my room and she was watching me carefully, "My room has nothing but just my pictures... you can directly say that you like me...!", I was trying to flirt.
"In your dreams!", She instantly uttered which I felt she regretted later.
"I mean... you know..."
"You need time!", I completed and she smiled.

After a coffee, I went to drop her at her place. Just when we were getting out of the parking lot of her building, I was going to see her off to her apartment, when a girl suddenly jumped over me. Anu, my ex lived in the same building as Bela. I have noticed her gaze before when I visited Bela.
"Happy birthday love!", She kissed on my neck.
"Thank you!", I uttered pulling myself out of the  hug. I saw Bela, who was smirking at me, folding her arms.
"Hey! Don't tell me you didn't miss me! I still have those love bites!", I was shocked on the shit she was uttering. It has been weeks since I was with a girl. And love bites! Impossible!
More than that, I worried what Bela must be thinking but I saw her looking at me pitiably and smirking continuously.
When Anu knew I was seeing Bela, she turned to her, "Hey Bela! Please persuade Mahir for me. He isn't talking to me properly since we last made out in his apartment."
My jaw was dropped! This girl was spreading the shit.
"Don't worry Anu! He'll be back to you soon!", said Bela caressing her shoulders and I was dazed.