Chapter 16 ~ Run, Forest, Run!

Start from the beginning

A moment later Dana's pearly laughter trickles after me and we both begin laughing hysterically as we stroll through the thick wilderness.

We continue laughing until our sides begin to hurt and slowly our laughter trickles down and the only evidence remaining of our undiluted glee is the smirks on our faces.

We both still look exhausted, my cheeks are still red and aching from being slapped but we are happy.

Nothing else matters.

I'm guessing that it's around twelve in the afternoon as I peer up at the sun peeking through the trees.

The air is thick and hot, making swallowing difficult and the amount of flying bugs are ridiculous.
I should be used to the Australian environment but Dana and I have been raised in a suburb, the gritty side of Australia isn't something we easily came in contact with.

We've both been sheltered in nearly every way possible.

"Why haven't you got a boyfriend?" Dana questions, breaking the comfortable silence and I chuckle one last time before answering her mundane question.

"I don't expect to have a boyfriend for a long time. It's just not on my 'to do list'." I reply and push through an especially thick bush, trying not to cut my hands in the process.

"But why?" Dana persists and I shake my head, regretting it as my curls stick to my face due to sweat.

"I'm focusing on myself, I don't have time for boys."

"Do you even like boys?" Dana counters back quickly and I halt for a moment as I consider her question.

Her question is filled with only curiosity, there is no malice and I really take a moment to think about it.

I've had a few boyfriends over the years, none lasting more than a month or going further than a kiss but I was still attracted to them.

I think the real reason why I don't have a boyfriend is because I'm not attracted to any fellow eighteen year olds.

Whenever I go out my eyes are always drawn to the mid-twenties, some would say this is because of my maturity, others would say Daddy issues.
I remain uncaring.
A crush is a crush and it just so happens that it's never really on boys my age.

I open my mouth to reply to Dana but a sound eases its way into my mind and I freeze like a rabbit as I comprehend the sound.

Footprints.

Dana hears them as well and another smile spreads on her face so widely that both her cheeks stretch.
I want to match her enthusiasm but I'm cautious, I'm not getting us caught again.

I know Dana wants to run towards the sound but I remain firm in standing still.
The footprints are fast, jogging I presume and judging by the sound getting closer and closer I can tell that we are going to have a head on collision.

Acting quickly I spin around and grasp Dana's arm, I tug her towards the nearest tree and use it to cover both of us in only a handful of seconds.
Dana is panting slightly due to her excitement but she remains quiet as the footsteps get closer.

"I'll have a look and if it's not them then we'll flag them down!" I harshly whisper into Dana's thick hair and she nods energetically, clenching her hands to contain her happiness.

Peeking around the thick trunk of the tree I remain still, heart thudding so loud that I'm sure Dana can hear it and wait.
The shrubbery is so thick that I can barely see two metres ahead, why on earth would a jogger be this far out?