C H A P T E R 34

END GAME

"You're seriously going to leave me here with her?" We brought Penelope in her home

"You're seriously going to leave me here with her?" We brought Penelope in her home. She didn't want to be brought in for a check-up so she had us bring her back in her apartment. Out of all the best places to live in this city, she chose the one beside mine.

"You hit her so you take responsibility for that." She and Lizzie have put Penelope in her room. "I think she's running a fever. You can take care of her right?"

"Let's just bring her to the hospital or call Mrs. Hendersen."

"Call Mrs. Hendersen? You're on your own, Sammie. Don't drag me with you." Tisha was only too happy to be done working for her. Work, not this; for things like this, she'd happily pretend to have never met me. "Let's go, babe."

Lizzie closed the door to the bedroom and waved at me. "Try not to kill her, Samantha." And with that, they left.

The place was comfortable considering she just moved in on a whim. She's throwing around money as if they grow on trees. It must be great to be born with so much money that at least three more generations can squander. The things one could do. Penelope had no problem falling off the grid and leaving her work behind. She even had no trouble wasting her days to chase me.

Sticky with sweat and still in my gym clothes, I'm irritated. Deciding against going for a shower in my unit, I got my bag and went inside Penelope's room. She was sleeping so I quickly entered the bath. I need a shower to cool my head and my body.

Sue me for swearing off relationships. I'm not one for one night stands.

"Sexual frustrations, huh?" I deftly avoided sensitive spots after scrubbing. I stood under the water sprays and closed my eyes as it washed the soap and shampoo off me. "It'll be over in a bit and I won't have to agonize about her." I stepped out of the shower, toweled myself dry and dressed.

Penelope was no longer in bed. The door was ajar and I walked out in search for her. She was not in the kitchen and not in the comfort room or any other room in the unit. Penelope disappeared again.

Dialing her number, I hurriedly exited her apartment. Her phone was ringing and it was loud enough to be coming from the cellphone speaker alone. Glancing to my unit door, I found her leaning against the wall-hugging what appeared to be a pillow.

"What the fuck are you doing out here?" She opened her eyes and smiled at me. Helping her up, I did notice that she was indeed hot to the touch. Fever. "Let us get you back to bed."

I dumped her on her bed with her pillow falling atop her. "I'm going to cook you something to eat and we'll have you drink something for that."

"Red..." She was hugging the pillow tight. I think the pillowcase was falling loose. It looked familiar.

Food, I need to feed her. The refrigerator was stacked and I chose something I could cook for her. The sooner I get her settled, the sooner I can go. The chicken soup would be good I think. It's been quite some time since I've cooked. I hope I don't end up poisoning her. Selena would have me beheaded.