C H A P T E R 5

ONE NIGHT

"So?" She said while taking a bath

"So?" She said while taking a bath. Facing the mirror, I was brushing my teeth. Though the glass was foggy and water-stained, I could make out her form.

I was already in my sleepwear—loose tee and panty briefs.

"What?" I answered with a single syllable. The froth in my mouth dripped.

Looking back, I could see that she was still soaping her arms. "How's it between you and my dad?"

It was sobering.

There was no other way to describe it. Such love but not deserved.

'... Still, she cared not for I was not him.'

It boggles the mind.

"Oh, so help me!" The water stopped. "He didn't tell you how rowdy I was as a kid, right?" The shower door slid open and Samantha, clad in a towel, stepped out.

I immediately rinsed and wiped my mouth dry. Offering my hand, I helped steady her and led us out.

"Nothing cringe-worthy?" she kept on. She let go and went for her suitcase, "None of those right?"

"He mentioned a few." I sat on the bed. She groaned. It was endearing—hearing stories about her from Jasper O'Callaghan; even more charming when she acted like an embarrassed teenager.

Now in clothes identical to mine, I watched enraptured as she sauntered back to the bed. She held a different towel on her head to dry her hair.

She stood before me. I found her eyes and she opened her mouth to speak. "I was not that bad."

"Really?" Making her straddle me, I pulled her down on my legs, "So, Jenny huh?"

Her hands fell from her hair and she dropped her head on my shoulder, effectively hiding her face from my scrutiny.

I laughed. Trying to pry her from hiding, she just wriggled free. "It's ok. Come on."

"It's not ok." She sighed. "There are a thousand stories to tell and he chose the one where he walked in on Jenny and me." She huffed out.

"Walked in on Jenny and you?" I asked confused.

She straightened up. "You didn't know?"

"All he told was that you didn't have to break it to him that you're gay because Jenny did it for you." Her cheeks flushed.

"Oh, gosh!" she fell off of me and landed on the mattress on her side. Her hands covered her face. "I dug a hole on my own."

There's something more to it that old man Jasper didn't say.

Did he walk in on themin a compromising position?

Following her down, I removed her hands and looked into her eyes. "So tell me the unadulterated version."