C H A P T E R 9

THE PROPOSAL

In a week's time, things were starting to go back to normal

In a week's time, things were starting to go back to normal. Austen apologized and we patched things up. I don't want to let that one incident to put a wedge between us.

Today's a big day. I want everything to be perfect.

I have already asked the permission of Austen's parents. Luckily, they agreed. So I proceeded as planned.

Enlisting Tisha's help, we booked a function hall in one of the Vasquez Corp. Hotel. We also came to the best flower boutique for the floral arrangement.

I also sent out secret invitations to family and close friends. Her parents were present but my dad was out on a cruise and won't be able to make it. I just promised him that everything will be documented through video so he could watch.

Moreover, I saved up to purchase a 3.5-carat diamond ring that was intricately set on a pure white gold band. I had it specifically made—I even designed it myself. I couldn't wait for Austen to wear it.

It was all set.

All the week's preparations came to a full circle as I stood before my love. Everyone gathered to witness my proposal.

Here goes...

I was down on one knee, offering her my heart by asking her to marry me. I waited for her to say 'yes'. I was hoping she'd say 'yes'.

In front of friends and her family, I had the courage to ask for her hand.

Please say yes.

I was not scared of the crowd. I did not care for them. They were faceless. The only person that mattered was Austen.

Out of a couple of people in this room, only one person had the power to make me the happiest woman.

Or destroy me...

And she did.

She stared down at me—not seeing even as I offered the ring and in turn my heart and my life. "Marry me?" I repeated in case she hadn't clearly heard me the first time.

Her mouth opened but not a word was out.

One word would have sufficed but she was cruel to the very end.

Her phone rang, breaking the silence. Then I heard her say:
'What? Where are you?'
'Stay there. I am coming to get you.'

One moment she was there and then gone before I could blink. Still down on my knee, I watched her leave.

Not even a parting glance or a quick goodbye; I could only stare speechless and hurt beyond repair as she left me on the floor.

She could have at least told me 'goodbye'. But I was not even offered the basic courtesy.