C H A P T E R 17

THE CAPTIVE

The fourth week flew by but I was still not able to fully regain my sight

The fourth week flew by but I was still not able to fully regain my sight. I had to work around it with Tisha and Lizzie's help. So far, things are doing well considering the handicap. The designs were almost done. The only hitch would be the fact that I had to do the presentation myself.

How do I get through that without my poor vision giving me away?

One week. One more week is all I have left. If I am not fine by then, the future will be bleak for me and possibly the company.

I closed the laptop—ineffectively shutting it down and stretched. The hem of my shirt moved up exposing my belly button.

Wake me up from this horrid dream.

I fell back on the couch and swallowed down a scream.

I can't do this!

No, I could. I promised Penelope. I told her she could trust me. I will not let her down.

I have to do this!

During those weeks Penelope has only visited once to check on our progress. It was days after she told Mrs. Henderson that I was 'back'. Her voice broached a no-nonsense tone. I heard her opinions and considered it during the revision.

Penelope.

I wonder how she is.

Lizzie told me that she was the one to carry me down the building during the unfortunate slip. Carrying me down must have been quite a workout and I haven't thanked her yet.

I can't wait to put a face on the husky but disembodied voice. I once asked Tisha to describe how Penelope looked but all I got from her was growling 'so-so'.

Poor Penelope already got on Tisha's shit list in less than a month.

The ringing of the bell brought me back to the present.

Lizzie, Tisha and I have been going over the plans. It was almost seven when they have left an hour ago after dinner.

I don't let Lizzie stay with me all day. I send her home at nightfall. After a long, dragging painful talk, I finally managed to convince them to leave me on my own.

I slowly stood up, pulled my shirt down and made my way to the door. In my hand was a walking stick I was still not accustomed to using. I tapped my way to the door.

Tisha must have gone back for the laptop. She could have just entered the pin but she didn't. Not wanting to invade the privacy of my new home, she made it a must to ring the bell and wait before just busting in.

I opened the door with a wide smile thinking that the silhouette was Tisha. "Hello, Cupcake! You forgot something?"

No one answered. The visitor's identity remained hidden in the thick fog, "Tish?"