C H A P T E R 6

WAKING DREAM

That afternoon we happily said our goodbyes and left my childhood home

I am so glad to have formally introduced Austen to my dad. Like always, he has been very supportive. He accepted her like another child not born to him and that meant a lot to me. They are the two most important people in my life.

"Penny for your thoughts?" her other hand steady on the wheel, Austen caught mine in hers and brought it to her lips—kissing my palm.

The show of affection sent tingles in my body. My body hummed as I remembered last night.

Last night was fantastic.

There was something in her eyes and the way she touched me and held me that made me believe she was finally seeing me—for who I was and not as the poor imitation of the woman of her dreams.

Like I'm no longer second best...

"Just a penny?"

"Whatever you want then," she smiled looking straight ahead.

"Hmmm," I pretended to think long and hard. "A thousand kisses would do," I said.

Our car stopped at the intersection, she turned to me and pulled me close as she thoroughly kissed me. A honking car brought a stop to it moments later.

"Consider that down payment." She winked then moved the car.

"I'll collect the rest tonight," I said.

"You better." She laughed.

Count on it!

"Thank you for coming over." I gave her a peck on the cheek.

"I couldn't have thought of a greater way to spend my days off." She placed a hand on my thigh. "Thank you for sharing your life with me."

I'd love nothing more than to spend it with you.

I kissed her again. "I couldn't have thought of a better person to share it with—only with you."

Her smile grew even wider.

"Many lives ago, I must have done so much good to deserve you now." She had her hand at the back of my shoulders and pulled me to her.

"Yeah?" I placed my hand in her chest.

"I know I have. Why else were you given to me now?" She kissed my forehead this time. "So, where do you want to go, my lady? We'll spend this day in however way you want."

My lady...

Hearing those from her was like cooling salve on my heart.

"Would you care for a movie?" I wrapped my arm around her waist. "Then after we could take a stroll around the mall and grab dinner in your favorite restaurant."