C H A P T E R 4

SCARS

With a hand on her waist, I held her steady before pressing the button numbered seven

With a hand on her waist, I held her steady before pressing the button numbered seven. The elevator door closed and I replaced my other hand on her arm.

"Where a-are we?" she jerked in surprise and was disoriented as the elevator moved up.

"No worries, babe." I pulled her face to mine. "I got you."

Not answering, she nestled her nose at my neck—resting her head on my shoulder. I kissed her hand. She's so out of it.

The door opened when we reached our floor. I helped her walk the remaining distance to our unit. Her limp hands lay on her sides; she solely relied on me to keep us both up.

"Keep your arms here." I placed her arms around my neck and urged her to hold on as I free my other hand to key in our passcode. The lock clicked open and I pulled her in with me.

"You put a cut on the carbs a little, Austen." Joking when I know she's barely in. She will not remember anything tomorrow.

Not remember?

That's a lie drunk people say to get out of the mess they made. She'll remember bits and pieces. I'll bet my sorry ass that she'll retain the memories of Erica.

Will you remember her being engaged to someone else?

I led her to our room and carefully helped her on it. Sitting down on the soft bed, my hand went under her shirt and unclasped her bra then fixed the pillows up before setting her down.

Turning on the night light, I made my way to the bathroom and cleaned up. Scrubbing the remnants of stale beer and the smell of that woman's strong perfume that stuck on me while I held Austen, I cleaned up before joining her.

I untied my straight red hair after getting dressed and brushing my teeth.

With the wet towels and change of clothes for her in hand, I went out of the bath. Putting them on the bedside table, I gently pulled her up to remove her beer and food-stained shirt.

After undressing her top half, I moved down to her pants. Once the dirty clothes came off, I began wiping her face and body—removing the party grime and the smell of the other woman.

My gaze landed on her discarded clothes on the floor.

I'm burning those tomorrow.

Satisfied that she's in a better state—now clean and refreshed, Austen comfortably slept.

Dressed in my sleeping shirt...

Petty, I know. But this one thing made me feel a tad happy.

Even with just my shirt, I get to put my mark on her.

I disposed her dirty clothes and hung the towels to dry.

Under the warm covers, I allowed myself to lovingly gaze at the woman before me. I traced a hand to her brow, down the ridge of her nose and stroked her chin and her parted lips.