C H A P T E R 29

CAUGHT

I barely slept a wink last night and I'm working an eight to five with no lunch break until Mrs

I barely slept a wink last night and I'm working an eight to five with no lunch break until Mrs. Hendersen got everything she wanted. And heaven's forbid she doesn't get what she wants.

I'm starting to think that nobody really ever gets what they want.

Logging in to my email, I was kinda hoping that Miranda had something else for me to do. Months ago, I was done with that thing she has asked me to do a small favor for her. Though I was perplexed by her request, I was happy to comply.

"Do you care so little about what I had to say, Hensen!" Selena burst through the door which my secretary adeptly closed after the grand entrance.

"Considering I've had no 'good mornings' since we last talked in the office setting, I'll oblige." Last name basis. I'm so screwed and I haven't had my coffee yet. "Good morning, Mrs. Hendersen."

"What was this I hear about you going to see Ms. O'Callaghan?" She got straight to the point.

News travel fast, "Yes. That I did." Not looking up, I continued browsing through my other emails, "Got my apology cake ready and all."

"Penelope Hensen, I don't remember raising a rebel." She threw her purse on my table. It hit the framed picture of me and Samantha aboard my yacht. The glass broke as it landed on the hard floor.

"I'll bill that to you among others." I could not look away from the shattered pieces covering of our happy smiles. "You've had your moments but I hardly remember being raised by such a domineering mother too."

"One day to meet with that woman and you've turned against me? Have you no respect?" She was mad. But so was I.

'Nope, I don't know how I'm feeling anymore.'

"More or less than thirty minutes." I said.

"What?"

"The drive to their building was twenty minutes. The elevator ride took at least three minutes. Waiting outside her office was eight minutes..." I rambled on. "Managed to say three awkward sentences when I finally saw her then I was out..."

"Penny..."

I got off my chair and rounded the corner of my table. Though temporarily blinded, the Samantha in my arms in that picture was smiling back at me. "I lost again."

"That's dangerous! Leave that for the cleaner." She said.

Bending down to pick up the broken picture frame, I ignored the sting of the shards on my fingers.

Selena took it from me and dropped it on my table and shouted for my secretary through the com, "Get in here!"

She had me sitting when my secretary came. "Call someone to clean that up and get me a first aid kit, quick!" The tips of my fingers were bleeding from the superficial cuts.