C H A P T E R 15

WHITE LIE

"Penelope

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"Penelope." I swallowed before continuing. "Can I call you by your name?"

"Yeah, sure," I heard her take another step closer, "Only if I get to call you Samantha."

I faced the direction of her voice and was rewarded with the vague silhouette of her. Trying to decipher her countenance in the blurred view only strained my eyes.

"That would be fine too." I gave up and looked down. "I understand that Mrs. Henderson had stipulations before signing with our company?"

I heard a chair being dragged before the woman spoke again. "She wanted you out of vacation and into the office leading the team."

I struggled to feel the buttons to elevate the upper part of the bed so that I could recline, "If that doesn't happen, the contract folds?"

"Let me help." Her voice was a lot closer this time. I felt the bed move and then her arms came around my shoulder and helped me back on the bed. "Better?"

I the shadow of her figure grace my faulty vision. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Her voice moved back at a distance.

"Forgive me if I had to lie down." I pulled the blanket up to my chest.

"It's understandable." She said.

"I also hope you understand that what you're asking of the company—of me is quite impossible at the moment."

My words were greeted by silence.

"Believe me I would have jumped at the chance to work with you but with this..." I indicated my eyes by covering them with my hand.

"I'm sorry but it's what the CEO wanted." She sighed. "I really wish there was another option but that woman's mind is impossible to change once set. There's not much I can do."

"Don't tell her about what you saw," I asked of her. "I will work on the project but don't tell her or anyone else that I've gone blind."

"How could you work when you can't see?" The chair moved when she stood. "You want me to lie to my mother just to save your company?"

"A lie of omission," I deferred. "I will work on the project in the comfort of my home."

"You expect me to believe that you are capable of doing the plans when you can't do the simple task of finding the button for that bed?" I heard her pacing. Her heels where clicking back and forth as it hit the floor.

"I can!" I clenched my left hand hoping the action would make me hold the anger in. "And, I will!"

"Am I just supposed to take your word for it?" She countered. "This is business, not charity. Don't expect me to take pity on you and jeopardize my mother's company."