C H A P T E R 3

KNIVES

"Aus!"

"Aus!"

My smile reached ear to ear when I saw her. She stepped up to kiss my cheeks and hugged me.

Heart racing and skin tingling, I did my best to hide my attraction for my best friend.

Erica and I were inseparable from the time she and her parents moved into the house next to ours. We were ten years old then.

Her curly reddish hair is like a beacon. Soft and fragrant—I inhaled and took in her scent as I held her.

I miss you so much!

Ever since graduating two years ago, she has been working in another city. The moment she told me of her plans, I was already accepted as an accountant in the place I had applied in.

"Hey, come inside guys!" Raymund, our gayest friend, called.

I think my heart short-circuited when I felt her hook her arm in mine, we stood close then walked on.

"So, how have you been?" She still has that bounce when walks and that sing-song voice when she talks.

All the little things that make her 'Erica' are still there. Not a thing changed.

"All good," I put a hand on top hers that was still holding on to my arm, "You? How are things on your end?"

"Everything is wonderful." She laughed as she recounted what has transpired in the years we were apart.

I could listen to her all day and not tire as long as I have her in my arms.

We were greeted by Raymund, Tony, his partner, and Andrea when we reached the living room.

All five of us have been the best high school and college buddies and we'll probably be friends for the rest of our adult lives. Through thick and thin, we'll have each other back.

Letting go of my arm, Erica greeted the others as I sat and grabbed a beer from the table.

"Stop hogging Erica when she comes to visit!" Tony softly hit me on the back.

"What can I do?" I opened the bottle. "She must miss me more than you."

"Ha!" He sat opposite me and munched on a chip. "You wish!"

I grabbed a handful and threw it at him.

"Children, behave!" Andrea slapped my hand before I could grab another handful. "We're eating that but you could throw him the bowl." She chuckled as she took a bean bag and sat.

"Nah uh!" Raymund wiggled a finger in warning, "Hands off my china, Hensen."

I opened another bottle of beer and handed it to Erica as she sat beside me. "Thanks, Aus."