Peculiar Circumstances

The world’s a mean place. It’s unfair, then it’s fair. It’s hateful, then it’s loving. It’s a very peculiar place on philosophical and metaphysical and religious levels. – Tim Allen

Philip and a few trusted men from his pack creeped outside the walls of an ancient ruin alongside Jacob, Princess Jhuliette’s mate and a few trusted men from his pack. Fortunately, Rhowette’s wolf, Ray had been able to call out to Philemon, faintly, but that had been enough for a witch to track the area they could possibly be. There hadn’t been enough time to inform the king, but Philip felt confident that he and Jacob could save their mates. Now the only thing was to figure out where exactly they were.
******************************************

Somehow, Rhowette and Jhuliette had come to a clear-cut conclusion. They were sisters. Specifically, twins. If their identical looks weren’t a dead giveaway, then the identical necklaces they both had was some sort of proof that they were related. But they were both trying to come to terms with why and how they had been kept apart for so long. They had a horde of unanswered questions. And no one seemed eager enough to give them any answers.
The girls sat cross legged on the bed, playing a game of dominoes that Lilah had so kindly given them when a woman walked in, with Lilah right at her heels, holding up what seemed to look like white dresses.
Rhowette gasped at the sight of the woman. She could recognize that fiery red hair anywhere.
“Munira?” Jhuliette called out in surprise, “What is going on here? I demand to know??”
Munira smirked, “Hello Rhowette, its nice to meet you again” and rolling her eyes, she continued, “And hello to you too, Princess Jhuliette, I think you really need to go back for etiquette classes. Your father will be highly disappointed.”
“My father will have your head for kidnapping me.” Jhuliette growled back.
“Oh really,” Munira clapped her hands in glee, “I look forward to that. In the meantime, kindly put on these dresses. Your evening routine will be a little different today. And Ill advise you to co operate for your own good.”
With a rather glamourous grin thrown their way, Munira turned on her heel and strutted away, disappearing through the invisible door as Lilah scurried to lay down the dresses and follow after her.
Cautiously, the girls managed to change into the white robe like dresses just as Lilah came back in again. They looked at her warily, wondering what they would have to do next. But Lilah just stood in front of them and started murmuring to herself. Or so it seemed, because no sooner had she started than the girls started to feel extremely light-headed. Within seconds, they had passed out.
*****************************************

The man clothed in a rich hue of purple beamed evilly underneath the hood that concealed his face from prying eyes as he watched the white robed sisters stir awake from their temporary slumber.

“Wakey, wakey precious ones,” he cooed gently in a rich baritone that could stir the blood of any hot-blooded female.

“wake up and come to daddy.” He added with a grin.
Munira, who was standing right beside him in a dark cloak that greatly contrasted her fiery red hair and weird purple eyes, grinned at the irony of the whole situation.

Rhowette rubbed her eyes open with her now free unbounded hands, before propping her body on her upper arm to take in her surroundings. Jhuliette and herself seemed to be lying on some altar of sorts, surrounded by what seemed to be quite a handful people, all cloaked in black. Well except the man in purple who stood beside Munira.
Munira and the hooded, purple clothed man, stood closest too the altar, and the rest of the people seemed to have formed a circle all around them. Rhowette looked up to see the full moon in all her silvery glory, illuminated the ashy ruins layered with a network of green moss.

“Jhuliette, thank you for finally joining us,” The purple clothed man addressed a now fully awake Jhuliette.

“Now let us get straight to the point, since I’ve already been waiting patiently since well, forever,” The man chortled. Lifting his hands up, he pushed off his hoodie, eliciting a gasp from Jhuliette’s lips.

“Father?”

“Oh, please don’t Father me Jhuliette,” King Liam, or what seemed to be a replica of him, addressed Jhuliette.

“I might as well be your father, biologically and physically, but I can certainly assure you that Liam is very much not available at the moment. So, you can call me Uncle Lesley. I’ve always wanted to meet you, but your dear father did his best to prevent us from meeting sooner. Same goes for you Rhowette, although I must say, even your Father has been wanting to meet you too. But alas, it gives me great joy to be the one to re-unite you two.” Lesley grinned evilly.

“What do you want with us, and where is the King?” Jhuliette questioned

“Well he is here, right now, in the embodiment of me actually, but yet he isn’t here. Now shush up little one, you do not need to understand such technicalities since you will cease to exist soon. Once I get my hands on that miraculously angelic blood of yours.” And then turning to Munira, Lesley whispered, “You may begin.”

Before their very eyes, Munira started to float about an inch above the ground as she started to chant in a language they could not really identify.

The cloaked people, standing in the circle started to chant along, and Jhuliette and Rhowette found themselves floating horizontally above the altar, side by side to each other. Their limbs didn’t seem to respond to their commands any longer, and they watched Munira hand Lesly one golden dagger, while holding one herself as the moon began to change into a brilliant red before their very eyes.

Munira walked around the altar to the opposite end, so that she had Jhuliette right in front of her. Simultaneously, she lifted her golden dagger right above Jhuliette’s chest, just as Lesley did the same with his dagger, as he stood before Rhowette.

Together they began to chant. Surprisingly, and on impulse, Rhowette and Jhuliette reached for their necklaces with one hand, while holding on to each other with the other. Suddenly, a brilliant light encased them, causing Lesley and Munira to stumble backwards. Shielding their eyes due to the intensity of the light, they watched as the sisters were straightened vertically in the air. A ray of light seemed to extend from their back, highlighting the faint outline of translucent wings. And together, as though put under a spell, the sisters opened their mouths as their voices carried out boldly through the ruins,

“The gifts of nature, all bear witness today,
The sun, the moon, the earth and sky,
Two halves of a soul, two parts of two worlds,
Bonded eternally, by light, by blood, by love.
Now in our power, here abide,
The scales upon which our world resides.
Now hearken all ye who dare approach,
From darkness ye came, and to darkness ye shall return”

With each word uttered, the sisters glowed brighter and brighter, until light rushed like a wave from their midst, exploding through the ruins.