Creeping allurements

I find the lure of the unknown irresistible.

Sylvia Earle

Philip had not been able to get any answers from Rhowette because soon after Daniel poked his head in to tell them that everyone was waiting for them to get out of the plane. Immediately they all descended, the were whisked in different directions by a throng of servants who led them to their assigned house and individual rooms.

The palace was a huge monstrosity of a building surrounded by several acres of land overlaid with lush greenery and dotted with several houses which for this occasion were being assigned to the individual packs.

The crescent pack had a house that directly overlooked the palace. But it was separated by an impressive orchard that enticed mortal men to take a step through and relive the error of their damnation with a bite from its luscious fruits. Rumor had it that this orchard had been planted by the very hands of an angelic being but had been enchanted over the years by several sorcerers who had corrupted the sanctity of the orchard.

Rhowette plopped down on her bed, moaning at how plushily welcoming the mattress was, and those pillows. They felt like heaven. They most definitely had to be clouds to be giving this effect. Lazily she opened her eyes and went to stand by the huge window. She held a faraway look in her eyes as she tried to comprehend why her dreams seemed to be more disturbing lately. She pulled out the necklace from her pocket, staring mindlessly at it. What did all this have to do with who she was?

Her internal struggle was momentarily paused when she caught a glimpse of Philemon entering the orchard that seemed to separate their temporary housing form the palace. Making a split-second decision, she turned away from the window and towards the exit of her room, before making her way downstairs and out the house. She made a beeline for the orchard, barely registering the goose bumps that wrapped around her with the sudden shift in the atmosphere once she stepped into the orchard.

Slowly, Rhowette walked through, entranced by the gold trimmed leaves that seeme to do their own happy dance in the breeze and the gleaming blue veined branches that shipped to and fro to the music that they only seemed to hear. And those fruits, how could a glistening red apple and a glowing succulent papaya grow from the same tree?

The trees were literally glowing shades and tints of varying degrees of colors that belonged to a variety of fruits. Rhowette felt her tongue ache, craving for a bite into any of the fruits. She reached up to grab an apple that hanged low from one of the blue veined branches.

"I would not do that if I were you."

Rhowette felt a smile over take her face as she turned to look at Fiona.

"Hey there."

"Hello yourself," the pixie like girl grinned back.

"why are you hiding behind a tree."

Fiona smiled mischievously and stepped forward from behind the tree, causing Rhowette to face palm. Making sure she focused intently on Fiona's face, Rhowette stated bluntly,

"You're naked."

"hah.... Smarty pants. How many braincells did you use to think that up?"

"Funny. My point is why are you running around naked in an orchard."

"I think you should rather be questioning why you almost picked up a fruit from the enchanted orchard. Only royals can pick this fruit and FYI.... I was just letting Lena out for a run."

"okay. I thought I saw Philemon coming in here earlier." Rhow stated with a raise of her golden blonde brows.

"yeah. I think Darrell is here too."

"Darrell?"

"Yhup. Daniel's wolf. Wanna race. Bet you can't catch Lena."

Fiona shifted at the very end of her sentence and bolted deeper into the orchard.

"Thanks for the heads up Fii." Rhowette muttered sarcastically to the wind as she attempted to follow Lena's trail.

But then again, she found herself distracted by the greenery in the orchard. They seemed to echo out hauntingly persuasive songs like a sickly-sweet lullaby from the bloody lips of sirens that lure unexpecting seamen to their pathetic yet undeserving demise.

For a moment Rhowette fell into a trance like state as she felt the sudden urge to reach for a rather juicy glowing berry. She imagined biting gently into it as the juice stained her lips a crimson red while dribbling slowly down her cheek. The enchantment that had her in the state of stupor, had her reaching for the grape.

"I really wouldn't try that if I were you." A soft unfamiliar voice spoke, snapping Rhowette from her trance like state and crashing her back into reality as quickly as a rug doused with kerosene catches fire.

Without turning immediately, she asked, "Don't servants work in this orchard, I'm wondering how they are able to resist this?"

"Nope, this orchard takes care of itself. And smart people who know they cannot resist the enchantments know better than to wander through this place alone." The voice replied indignantly.

Rhowette felt her face heat up with a sudden rush of anger. Abruptly she turned to give the stranger a piece of her mind but as soon as her eyes met that of the stranger, a brilliant light filled the space and a force knocked her off her feet and down to the enchanting lush grass of the orchard floor. For a while all she could hear was a loud ringing sound, followed by the haunting echoing beats of the drum filling up the sudden darkness she had been cast into. Then suddenly, there was silence.

Author's note

Hey loves,

Another update. yaaay!!! sorry I couldnt get it up yesterday. Circumstances got in the way. Anyway, kindly vote, comment and share. Thanks.

Much love,

KellaYebba