Conundrumsconundra

"It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma." - Winston Churhcill

"We've got her stabilized and we've patched up her leg as best as we can. For a human I highly doubt she will come out of this unscathed. She might most likely end up with a limp."

Brian explained calmly to Philip after almost an hour in the theater.

"However, she is in a coma, which is most likely as a result of the loss of blood and her body's way of coping with the trauma she might have experienced, because there was no trace of a head injury or internal bleeding." Brian continued.

"Okay. Thank you, Brian. Which room is she in?"

"The third door on your left."

Sending a nod in Brian's direction, Philip got up and headed toward the door Brian had pointed to.

Inside was Halo girl, her skin so pale, almost translucent. The heart monitor was the only source of sound, beeping occasionally. And her right leg was encased in a bandage.

Pulling up a chair beside her, Philip sat down and clasped her hand in his. For once even Philemon had gone silent. He had not uttered a word since they rescued her till then, but Philip could feel how anxious he was, because that was the same way he also felt.

"Halo girl please wake up soon, there are so many things I would like to ask you. Like how I literally turn into a stunned fool around you when you're not even my mate." Philip's voice trailed off into silence.

Placing his head down on the side of the bed she lay in, he allowed the silence to envelope him, until the occasionally beep of the monitor lulled him to sleep.

"Phil.....Phil, wake up," Fii nudged Philip in an attempt to wake him up.
With a grunt, Philip lifted his head up and rubbed his hand sleepily over his face.

"How long have I been in here?"

"Over two hours. Sissy said come eat something. You know you got back in here with her around 3am and since you brought her you've barely rested. Most of the pack will be coming round for breakfast in an hour and you probably wouldn't want them to see you like this. Cos they've already been whispering about the human you brought in."

Fii turned to look at the still form of the golden blonde haired girl. She had to admit that she was really beautiful.

"Your mate?"

Philip run his hands through his hair giving an indication of his rattled nerves.

"why is everyone asking me this question?" He grunted out.

"Well, is she?" Fii pushed as she rolled her eyes at Philip's behavior.

"No. maybe. I don't know."

"How can you not know?"

"Cos I just don't Fii, leave it alone. Please." Philip snapped.

Fii kept on a neutral expression. She didn't know why he was so worked up, this was a yes or no question.

"Look, I'm really sorry. I've just got a lot on mind and you keep pushing. You know I'll tell you eventually but not now Fii. Please give me time."

Fii shrugged. "Yeah, yeah. I get it. But eventually imma get back at you for snapping at me." She said with a smirk.

"Now get up and go get your breakfast before those hungry wolves get in there."

She turned to leave then stopped by the door.
"By the way, I think she needs to get her bandages changed."

Philip looked over and realised that Halo girl did need a change in bandages, because the one on was stained through with blood.

Weird?

Shaking his head in disbelief, he stood up and headed towards the kitchen, after stopping to tell a nurse to change Halo girl's bandages.

Philip entered into the kitchen to be met with the familiar aroma of Lisa's cooking. No wonder she owned one of the best restaurants in Woodsville.

"Hi Lisa," he said as he pulled up a stool to sit by the kitchen island.

"Hi yourself," she replied with a smile.
"What's up? You good?"

"I'm okay, just a bit stressed. Got a lot going."

"Yeah, there have been whispers. And its still early in the day. Can you believe it? I mean, I love how this pack is close knit and all but sometimes people really need to keep their mouth's shut." Lisa rambled on as she placed a plate of omelette in front of Philip.

Just then, the nurse who had gone to changed the bandages rushed in as though the devil himself was at her heels.

"Dr. Brian is asking for you immediately." She managed to squeak out causing Philip to drop the fork that was right at the tip of his tongue.

He abruptly stood up, causing the stool to scrape on the polished wood of the kitchen floor.

He followed right behind the nurse and entered the room where Halo girl was being held.

He looked at the still form and did not see anything unusual. The heart monitor showed that her heart was beating at a pretty normal pace.

He gave Brian a questioning glance, which Brian returned by sending a pointing look at Halo girl's leg which was now free from bandages.

He paused in shock. Her leg looked healed, not even a scare to show how mauled over it had looked.

Even though he was a bit overwhelmed and shocked he was not so surprised. He knew something was bound to happen to prove his theories about her not being human. She had an accelerated healing.

"I think we should step out side for a while," Philip said addressing Brian and the nurse.

They started out first and he followed right behind. He reached the door only to hear the sudden rush of air.

He turned just in time to see Halo girl temporarily suspended in the air before she fell back, causing the glow that had temporarily surrounded her to disappear. Then her eyes snapped open.

Philip suddenly shut the door and locked it, leaving Brian and the nurse perplexed behind it.

Walking back to the bed, he stared into Halo girl's eyes which seemed to glow for a moment.

Her eyes roamed around like they had done when he had rescued her before they focused back on him.

Without missing a beat since it seemed she was fully well and capable, "What are you?"

Author's note:
Hey guys,
Thanks so much to all those who keep reading. I hope I am not disappointing. And for those in a state of conundrum over this chapters heading, well, let's just say, I could not decide between conundrums and conundra since both could apparently be the plural of conundrum😀, well according to google. Anyway so let's play the guess game, what do you think Rhowette is? As always, please vote, comment and share. Love you guys.❤
<3KellaYebba