Chapter 11

Not Edited
Panem High Chapter 11
• 2 weeks later •
Katniss got let out 12 days before
~ at the reaping ~
Peeta's POV

I haven't seen Katnisss since 2 days ago, neither has Gale. Oh well we'll see her today.

Me and Gale go ovet together with the other boys and the girls go together. Me and Gale are constantly looking for Katniss as we stand in the rows of other boys.

"Welcome! Welcome, welcome. Happy hunger games! And, may the odds be ever in your favour! Now before we begin! We have a special video brought to you all the way from the Capitol!" The Capitol woman says in a very high ptched cheery voice.

[They all live in District 12 but it's not poor, all the districts are the same except 1 and 2 they are more rich]

*After the video*

"I just love that!" She says smiling. "Now, the time has come to choose 1 man and woman for the honour to represent District 12 in the anual 75th hunger games!" She pauses. "But before we do, please raise a hand of applause for our victors!" She claps along with everyone, 5 people come out but not Katniss.

"Where's Kat?" I whisper to Gale.

"I don't know.." He replies.

"Of course, ladies first, but men just before!" She laughs a little heading over to the boys reaping bowl. She picks a slip out and head back to the mic. She unfolds it.

"Peeta Mellark"

My heart stops for a slight second.

"Sorry mate" the boys say patting my shoulder. I smile at them.

"It's fine" I smile again.

Before I can move away from them though a voice calls out.

"I volenteer as tribute"

It sounds like a girls voice, a bit like..oh no. Delly! My lifetime best friend. The boys nudge me out of my daydream and nod over to the pathway. There she is. Walking down the path. I look closely at Delly. But it's not Delly.

It's Katniss.

"KATNISS!!" I roar, running to the path. I grab her wrist.

"What are you doing?!" I say.

"You were gonna lose me anyway. I was meant to be picked for the girls but scenes as your name was called, I couldn't let you die. Your my best friend. Or even if you came out, I'd never live with myself if you had those terrible nightmares" she whispers.

"I could live with them, aslong as I have you I'd be fine!" I whisper.

"Even if I survive. I won't be coming back. If I was reaped and someone had volenteered, I would have had to go anyway otherwise they'd kill me. They want me dead. If I come out there alive, I'm going straight to the tower to be tortured anyway and end up dead. So I'd be dead either way. It will be better dying in there than being tortured..Plus Snow and Heavensbee want me dead. Just remember I'll always love you, Gale, Prim, the girls, the boys and all my other family. Just keep Prim alive for me. And make sure she doesn't go back to Plutarch. Please" she whispers.

"Katniss, I can't let you leave me. I need my girl best friend.." I whisper

"You have Delly" She smiles rubbing my cheek with her thumb. "Goodbye Peeta, you'll always be my boy with the bread. Always." she whispers with tears in her eyes. She kisses my cheek before continuing to walk down the path.

I'm about to run after her when the boys grab me and take me back to the crowd.

"Well, this is your second time you have volenteered now am I right?" The woman asks.

"Yes.."

"Who did you volenteer for this time?"

"One of my best friends.."

"No family relations this time?"

"No"

"Katniss Everdeen! Passed Victor of the 70th Hunger Games and Quater Quell!"

I see Katniss whisper something intot the womans ear. The woman nods.

"Well then, according to Presidant Heavensbee and Snow. You are all lucky!"

Oh no.

"Miss Everdeen here has said that they said she could choose the boy she goes with. But she chose to go on her own" The Woman says.

Oh Katniss, why?

"She also said, she will not be going in. So District 12 will not be competing this year as she was the only one to be competing"

What?!

Two peacekeepers go over and grab either of Katniss' arms before walking her down the path. Everyone watches her walk down, peacekeepers either side of her. She has her head down looking at the floor.

"Where is she going?" Finnick asks.

I turn around to face them.

"And why are you crying?! She's not going to the games!" Cato says, they all not hapily.

I shake my head.

"What?" Marvel says.

"What did she tell you out there?!" Cato says.

I turn round to look where Katniss is, she's close. She has her head up now. She finds my eyes and she can tell they've asked. She shakes her head as if to say don't tell them.

I mouth back to her "Please?"

She shakes her head.

I go out to her. "Katniss please?"

"A minute please" She says to the peacekeepers. They let her to and walk down a bit to talk to the other peacekeepers.

Once they've gone. "no"

"Please! They deserve to know!"

She sighs. "Fine, but remember to not let Prim near Plurarch as now that I'll be gone he can do whatever he wants to her"

I nod.

She kisses me on the lips. "Thats to say thank you for everything you've done for me" she whispers.

I feel tears stream down my face.

"aye, don't cry, we'll see eachother again someday" she smiles runing the tears away with her thumb.

"Please don't go" I sob.

"I have to, I'm sorry Peeta" a tear rolls down her cheek.

"I'll miss you" I say embracing her.

"I'll miss you too" she says. We break away as the peacekeepers come back over.

"Just remember. I'll always love you, my boy with the bread.." She says before they take hold of her again and walk off.

I walk back to the crowd. The girls have Primrose and have made their way to the boys now.

I kneel down infront of Prim. "Prim, you'll be staying with me now okay?"

"Why?" she asks.

"Katniss doesn't trust Plutarch with you on your own"

"Where's Kat going?"

I sigh looking down then back up at Prim and the others.