Chapter 10

Not Edited
Panem High Chapter 10
Peeta's POV

I look back down to Katniss to see her eyes open. A smile appears on my face as I look into her grey eyes. Her eyes don't blink though..

At first she didn't blink. But after about 2 minutes she blinked. She was staring into my eyes. Her chest was barely rising and falling yet was more than when I first found her. She smiles as she is still looking at me.

I look up at the others, Gale is kneeling next to me while Katniss smiles, looking at both of us. The others are standing close just watching her, Finnick picks up the sheet from the counter and puts it back over her body except her head and neck. She leaves our gaze to look down. She lifts her arm and points at the cloth looking at me and Gale with a confused look.

"It's to cover your body" Gale says.

She looks at me and I nod saying he's right.

"W-why?" She asks, her voice croaky after taking he oxygen mask off so say then back on after.

I sigh as Gale looks at me to tell her not him. "Your mother beat you badly..she's gone now though so it's okay" I say stroking her hair which she smiles at.

"You two are the best friends I have ever had" She whispers still in a croaky voice, she looks at the both of us smiling while each of her hands are on our cheeks.

We both smile at her. She drops her hands.

"C-can I s-sit?" She asks up with pleading eyes.

"You can't..If you do, your pulse could go. That's why your still in the kitchen not the hospital" Gale explains as she looks at him.

She frowns. "Oh"

"Aye, don't worry, once your pulse improves they'll take you and you can sit up then" I say, she moves her eyes to me.

She nods. "Okay"

*5 hours later*

I'm still kneeling on the floor, I'm now kneeling on a pillow after my legs went a bit dead. Her pulse has improved so they will be moving her to the hospital so they can treat her.

~after moving Katniss to the hospital~

Me and Gale take turns to sit with her. Her pulse is nearly back to normal now, although her voice is still raspy and she struggles to talk.

It's my turn to stay with her while Gale is in school. She's asleep at the moment so I'm just playing a game on my phone.

"Peeta?" Her raspy voice says.

"Katniss?" I mock her, causing her to laugh. "What do you want?"

"Sit" she asks.

I nod getting up and helping her to sit up then sit back down in my seat.

"Water" she says, pointing to her cup.

I hand her the water and she does and hand sign for 'thank you' I nod her saying 'your welcome'. She hands me the cup back smiling.

"Why are you so happy then?" I ask smirking at her.

She smiles. "Having friends like you and Gale.." she smiles again "and having company here instead of me being here on my own"

I smile. "We wouldn't leave you alone! Your one of our best friends!" I say, but I can't help but feel sad she only thinks of me as a friend.

"Can I have my phone?" She asks.

I nod handing her her phone. She smiles.

"Thanks"

It stays silent for about 5 minutes before she speaks up.

"Whens the reaping?"

"two weeks, they had to move it as some of the ones that are needed came down with illnesses and needed to stay away from public" I explain to her.

She nods. "Okay" she sighs after that.

"Whats up?"

"Nothing, It's just I have to be at the reaping..and I don't like the games"

"I know, I do to. I don't like them either.."

"Yeah but I had to go in there! It's a horrible experiance! I get nightmares not because of it. I'll never be the same again..I was the youngest ever to win the games at aged twelve, none can beat it now especially as I'm a girl, none can. If it was a boy it could be beaten my a girl aged twelve but no"

"It's okay"

"No it's not!" She snaps, she sighs. "Theres still a high chance I can still get reaped to go back in"

"Your name will only be in there once now!"