Chapter 2

Edited
Panem High Chapter 2
Peeta's POV

After Katniss goes, the girls go to their lockers and leave us boys to go to our own.

"You seem to get on well with Katniss don't you?" Cato says, smirking at Gale.

"Hmm?" Gale says, getting snapped out of his daydream.

"I said, you seem to get on well with Katniss don't ya?" Cato repeats.

"Oh, umm yeah? I mean I've known her since I was 8, we used to spend pretty much all day together." Gale replies to Cato.

"I don't seem fond of her to be honest.. I mean she seems nice but I think it was just cause you were there." Cato says.

"I gotta be honest but I have to agree with Cato on this man." I pipe in.

"Same," Marvel says.

"I think we should give her a chance." Finnick says.

"Guys, you just don't understand her! She's had a pretty hard life and it's just getting worse for her! Even if she is now rich she doesn't like it so just back off her okay?!" Gale says, a little pissed off if I say so myself.

"What do you mean 'she's had a pretty hard life and it's just getting worse for her'?" I reply to Gale's argument.

I see Gale sigh. "You wouldn't understand," Gale says back.

"Try us, we want to know!" Cato butts in.

Gale sighs. "Fine..we both used to live in this really poor part of America, we met in the woods when we were both 8. We were both doing the same thing there; hunting animals.."

"Why?" Cato asks.

"Well both out families were poor so me and Katniss decided to go hunting together from then on to find food." Gale says.

"Why didn't her father go with her if she was only 8? And why didn't yours?" Marvel asks.

"My father was working to get money to buy food while I was hunting for meat." Gale says, getting a little tense.

"Why wasn't her father with her then?" Marvel asks again. I see Gale tense up even more.

"Guys! Don't you see he doesn't wanna talk about it?! I mean, look how tense up he's gone!" Finnick pipes up, stepping up for Gale. "You don't have to tell them man." Finnick says patting his back.

"No, they wanna know.." Gale says slightly un tensing.

"Well?" I decide to question the time.

"Her father died when she was 8 in a big mining accident.." He says tensing up even more again. "Her mother went into depression leaving her to care for her and her sister Prim, who was 4. Then when she finally came back when Katniss was 13 she would go out either working at then hospital or go partying. I don't really know what happened after that as my family moved and I haven't seen her since. I mean were now 17! She had to put up with her awful mother for 4 years on her own taking care of prim too! She also used to get bullied and picked on cause she didn't have a father. I remember this one day.. It was fathers day. It was that year her father died. We all had to bring our father into school to speak about them to our class. When Katniss turned up without her dad, all the mean girls started picking on her asking where her father was as none knew about her dad except me. They were asking all things why her dad wasn't here and saying he didn't care about her etc. so when it came to her talking to the class. She had brought a picture of her and her dad in and that's when she told everyone her dad had died. That's when the bullying started. I protected her right up until I left and she had to put up with it on her own. I couldn't help but notice on her arms and legs. Scars. I still feel bad for having to leave her.." Gale is now crying with Finnick comforting him.