13

— INDIA SIMONE

"india, it's three o'clock in the fuckin' mornin'

"india, it's three o'clock in the fuckin' mornin'. do you really need to go?" angelo groaned wiping his eyes.

"if it wasn't that serious i wouldn't have woke you up," i shook my head. "come on she needs us,"

i waited all night to hear from mahogany. when she finally called from the police station i was relieved.

she wasn't being arrested due to the fact that he broke into her apartment. but there are going to be a lot of legal issues she'll have to deal with.

"man," he breathed out. "come the fuck on,"

i rushed putting my shoes on and waited on angelo to get ready.

"you gon' tell me what the fuck is going on?" angelo walked into the living room with his bloodshot eyes.

i already filled kentrell in. he wanted to stay here cause he doesn't like the police station. which i understand from his point of view.

"yes angelo," i sighed following him out the door.

i shut the door behind me and waited on lo to unlock the car.

"so what the fuck?" angelo started his car up.

"well i was talking to mahogany and we were just talking and she let me know about her abusive ex and how she ran from home to stay away from him. but he was supposed to be in jail and next thing you know somebody breaks into her house and i heard them arguing and then gunshots go off. but she called me from the jail not too long ago telling me she was safe. and now she's at the police station, she needs somebody to come get her."

"you don't even know her though india," he turned his wheel and looking at me quickly.

"i would want somebody there for me if i was in this situation. whether i know them or not. she took a life, and i want to be there for her." i half smiled.

"you're just like mama, and i admire you for it. you got a good heart india, but don't let this distract you from going to school,"

"about that, i'm thinking about dropping out," i bit my bottom lip.

"dropping out? of college? fuck no. india, you've been wanting to go to college ever since you were in elementary. you have a backup plan?"

"i want my own business," i stated.

"as long as you can build a foundation and go far wit' it. i can't tell you to go to college, but i'll support you. just let me know if you need help wit' anything,"

"thank you," i smiled at myself and played with the strings on my jacket.

"what kind of business you thinking bout,"

"well, i was thinking about having my own clothing line first,"

"you're gonna design the clothes or what? you gotta think about that and how you want the clothes to look, where to buy it in bulk. it's a lot sis but like i said i'll help with the research. maybe get you some designs and shit," he nodded.