06

— INDIA SIMONE

i told you, you better stay prayed upyou never thought the universe be looking for revenge

you never thought the universe be looking for revenge

you can't keep just doing them girls like that
thinking that nobody finna bite back
losing your mind baby
can't be sure, time's wasting

nice to meet you, i'm sorry
i'm just here to do my job
nice to meet you, no running
please don't fear me, i'm just karma

summer walker sang through my earbuds as i sat in the library. i flipped through my textbook trying to find the information i was looking for.

as much as i hated being home for the break i wasn't ready to go back to school. we just got back and i already got two tests i needed to study for and an essay for my anatomy class.

i wanted to be an ob-gyn and work with pregnant women, and babies. the female reproductive system had always fascinated me and that $200,000 a year was just the cherry on top.

tayvion graduates next semester and then he'll be attending howard to study law which was all the way in washington.

tay and i met when i took a campus tour on my senior year of high school. we ran into each other in the cafe. literally, ran into each other. i spilt tea all over my new PINK sweatshirt.

he made me drop all of my food and ended up taking me out on a date that weekend to make up for it. i was pissed but i'd never say no to free food.

i continued to read through my anatomy text book and gathered all the information i needed for my essay. professor pointer was always on my ass even though i was one of his best students.

i ran my fingers through my hair and highlighted everything i'll end up using as a resource for my paper.

my music stopped playing, and my ringtone took over. i answered my phone quickly, trying not to become a distraction.

"where you at?" yasmin shouted into the phone, making me turn my volume down. she was surrounded by a sky blue atmosphere and a sprinkle of trees behind her.

"in the library," i spoke quietly, opening blackboard on my laptop. laying my phone against my macbooks screen.

"you always studying, quit being lame. the ques out in the quad. everybody out here, and i mean everybody," she breathed heavily into the phone looking everywhere but the camera.

"well i got tests to study for and a paper to write," i rolled my eyes at her.

"take a break, you study too much. just come out here and watch them with me and go back to studying," she smiled, flipping her camera.

she wasn't lying when she said everybody was out there.

"if i wanted to see a bunch of niggas barking and sticking they tongues out i'd go, but i'd rather get my shit done so i won't be behind. i'm not missing anything important,"

"whatever girl," she scoffed and ended the call.

yasmin was like my sister, a god sister. we were originally roommates but we got into a fight and decided to part ways. i moved back in with angelo and she stayed in the dorms.

me and yasmin lived two different lives and were always bumping heads. she had both parents in her life and always found a way to rub it in.

her whole college was paid off, and she got whatever she asked for. i was paying for college through scholarships and my fafsa but it still wasn't enough so i took out student loans.

after i finished my rough draft, i noticed the sun was going down. tayvion was supposed to be here already to pick me up from the library, but he stopped replying.

i got into a bad car wreck over the summer and was working with my insurance company to get me a new car. so i either caught a uber or tay would drive me around.

angelo doesn't get off work until ten and it was only seven o' clock. the library closes in an hour and i didn't want to sit here all night waiting.

i tried calling tay but it kept going straight to voicemail. i gave up and just sat at the table trying to figure out how i was gonna get home.

i texted yasmin asking if she could take me home but she said she was busy. so fuck her too, she does shit like that to piss me off and that's why we'll never get along.

before i decided to pay for a twenty dollar uber ride i made a snapchat post asking if someone could take me home.

an old friend from high school said he could pick me up but i'd have to sit at his place until angelo got off work.

'that's fine' i replied, i was desperate and as long as i left this library before it closed i would be fine.

after sitting in the library for another twenty minutes he texted saying he was outside. i had already stuffed my backpack with my things, all i needed to do was meet him in the parking lot.

i walked out of the library with my backpack on my right shoulder. the wind started to blow, and i felt the air get dry like it was about to rain.

i walked up to his car and he had me get in the backseat since he had other people in the car. his music was loud and i couldn't even hear myself think.

i opened the backseat door and a whiff of weed hit me. it was so strong i think i caught a contact high.

"if i gave you gas money could you just drop me off at home?" i yelled.

"huh?" he said turning down his music.

"if i gave you gas money could you drop me off at home?," i repeated myself.

"oh, yeah. let me drop these niggas off first," he said turning the volume back up.

i looked around and didn't recognize any of the guys he was riding with. i kept it silent and got on my phone.

still no reply from tay, i hope whatever he was doing was more important than picking me up. next time i speak to him we will have a choice of words.

"you smoke?" dude beside me asked, he had bumpy darkskin and wore a hood over his head.

the smoke clouds made it harder to see him.

"yeah," i nodded at him and put my eyes back on my phone screen.

"well hea'," he passed me the backwood full of weed.

"no, thank you," i smiled lightly.

i never accepted weed from someone i didn't know, angelo always got on my ass about that.

"girl, take this shit. it's some gas that'll put you on yo' ass," he smiled, his teeth were white like they should be and he had teeth straighter than a line.

"i said i'm good," i mugged him and rolled my eyes.

i heard him chuckle and watch his arm extend handing the weed to garrett.

"aye gee, you kno' that nigga kentrell jus' got out?" a guy in the front seat said turning down the radio.

"ion wanna hear shit bout that fuck nigga, but when i see him it's on sight," he chuckled, taking a long hit from the wood.

...