Chapter 21: Wide Awake

Sorry everyone for the long wait. Hopefully this chapter will make it up to you! anyways i wanted to write more to this chapter but seeming that im already two days behind schedule i might as well put you all out of your suffering, so here it is. Sorry again!!!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Friday December 18th

The sun rose above the mountains as its rays penetrated the thick clouds that exuded the dancing snowflakes. Some light filtered through and basked the earth in its warmth and made the ice particles glow radiantly. The student body was sound asleep excluding the professors that went about their business. Some graded late assignments, while some prepared for the next semester classes, others drank a nice hot cup of tea besides the warm fire, and a few, namely Hagrid, were sound asleep.

Two figures however lay awake in their beds, both thinking over the events of the last few months. Draco lay on his back, wide awake, staring at the ceiling of his four poster bed as he listened to the soft snores of the figure beside him. His mind raced and he focused to put it back in order. The first mental image that entered his mind was of Hermione, the first day she had returned. He remembered how beautiful and dangerous she was that first day. He couldn’t believe that it was her, would’ve never thought it possible in all honesty. Next was her being resorted into Slytherin. He could’ve never dreamed such a thing to happen. And those words, those unusual words that the sorting hat had said still plagued his mind:

“Aw Miss Gau- ranger,” The hat said stumbling over his words, Draco raised an eyebrow at that, but no one else seemed to notice the slip up. Mione rolled her green hazel eyes and McGonagall took in a sharp breath. What was that about? Draco asked himself, perplexed.

Of course now he knew what the slip up meant. Hermione wasn’t just a Granger she was a descendent of the Gaunts, a strong pureblood family. She would be a disgrace and most likely killed if Lord Voldemort had ever found out.

“It’s so nice to see you again. It’s been too long, much too long. It seems that I may have put you in the wrong house all those years ago.” Hermione looked at her nails, uncaring. Draco noticed the Gryffindor table go rigid. “It didn’t help you succeed as much as another house may have done. I knew I shouldn’t have placed you there, all because of Dumbled-” Headmistress shot the hat a glare and he quickly stopped what he was saying. Draco scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. What would Dumbledore have to do with placing Granger in Gryffindor? He questioned.

Draco too now knew that Dumbledore had only done that to protect her, to shield her from her inevitable doom that would’ve befallen her. But he still didn’t understand why Hermione would be better in Slytherin. If anything she seemed to have done a complete U-turn.

“I see that you have however benefited greatly from Gryffindor, but not as much if you were placed in the house you should’ve been put in. You have changed immensely since your first year here and suffered throughout the years, but I see you gained happiness, if only for a short while…” The sorting hat trailed off a thoughtful look on its face. “Miss Granger, your solutions to your problems will be found with the acceptance of your true self. Start over and be who you were meant to be. Don’t hide within yourself, let your snake be free.” The hat said with a mischievous grin, Granger just sat still in her chair, her body rigid.

“Slytherin!” He shouted and for once the room stayed completely silent.

Again Draco replayed the event in his mind. It still didn’t completely make sense. If Hermione was a muggle born and descendent of the Gaunts, why did she have to accept herself if she already knew who she was? What had the sorting hat meant? And what did it mean when the hat had said she had only found happiness for a short while? Draco knew he was missing a big piece of the puzzle; he just couldn’t seem to figure it out.