Chapter 61

“Angela who?” Jane said, fumbling nervously through her keys, avoiding eye contact.

“You know exactly who I’m talking about Jane.”

“I know so many Angelas. I don’t know who you’re talking about.”

“Alex’s Angela.” I closed my eyes and let it out. I didn’t realize I was practically shouting. Luckily everyone was outside so no one could hear my outburst.

“Doesn’t ring a bell.” Jane tried to leave.

I pulled her by her hand. “Look into my eyes and tell me that. I know you know it. Please don’t hide this from me. You’re like a sister to me. This affects my future. Please be honest with me.”

“Just a small fling. Old story, you don’t need to worry about it.”

“Jane, that’s not the complete truth. I can tell when you’re lyin-“, before I could continue, Alex joined us, wrapping his arm around my waist.

“Who’s lying?” He asked.

“Nothing. I lied to Katy about not messing up with her closet while she was away. I threw all of those shaggy clothes she bought. I think David needs me. Life gets so busy when you have a baby. Bye. ” She laughed, gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and softly whispered, “Promise me you won’t bring this up in front of Alex”, and sprinted out.

“I’m so happy motherhood didn’t change her a bit. She’s still my pesky sister.” Alex laughed.

“Yeah.” I forced a smile. I knew Jane was hiding something. Angela was connected to the Parkers. And it wasn’t just a small fling. The sincerity with which Alex had declared his love for her early morning broke my heart. I needed answers.

Alex and I retired to the bedroom, tired after the hectic day. As I sat in front of the mirror, Alex came behind me and gently slid my shrug down. He began kissing my neck, making his way downward to the shoulder. “You don’t know how much I’ve missed you.” He whispered.

“Alex, how many girls have you dated?” I asked, cautiously.

“A couple maybe but I have never loved anyone like I loved you.”

Maybe Jane was right. Maybe I was overthinking all this way too much. Maybe Angela was just another girl Alex dated. I decided to drop it.

I kissed him back, putting all my worries aside.

The next morning, Alex told me he had planned a getaway to a small town in North Carolina, the place where he was brought up. I was excited too, as I wanted to know the real Alex.

After a long journey, we reached his old house. It was a bit wrecked, neglected as it had been for so many years. I offered to go down the street to pick up some food while Alex relived some old memories.

I went to a restaurant which seemed quite ancient. As I waited for my order, the owner approached me. “Oh dear Angie, look how much you’ve changed! It seems like forever since I saw you.” He spread his arms around to hug me. I awkwardly avoided it by taking a step back.

“I’m sorry?” I asked puzzled.

“And how is Alex? I bet you both are still together.”

“I think you’ve mistaken me for someone else.” I picked up my order and rushed out.

I tried to put these crazy thoughts away and seated for dinner. The house had really antique furniture. As I began to wipe some dust off the table, I noticed something was engraved. I cleaned even harder and felt the engraving with my fingers. It was a heart shot with an arrow and in the middle was carved “Alex & Angie. Forever.” I instantly removed my hand as I felt too weak to handle all this. I wanted to ask Alex everything right away, but I had promised Jane. I could only wait to return home and meet Jane.

It felt like Angela’s ghost was following me everywhere, like Angela and Alex were linked by an unbreakable bond. No matter how much I tried, I could not think about Alex without the thoughts of Angela creeping in. Who is she? Where is she now? If they loved each other so much, what could have gone wrong? I don’t know if my mind was making things up or was there still a longing in Alex’s eyes for his Angie. Every time he kissed me, I felt Angie was around, haunting us everywhere we went.

PS- Angela's complete story coming up in next update! :)

{ Vote if you liked what you read. It is a great motivation for me. I'll love you forever. Leave your comments down below to let me know what you think, and add it to your reading list/follow me so you don't miss out on the next update! <3 xoxo }