Chapter 38

We decided to move to Vegas. Alex needed a new place to start his career. Working under the people who he once employed would have been soul-crushing. That way, we could stay near Jane too. There wasn’t much left in Beverly Hills for us. Alex didn’t want to break the news to Jane yet. We didn’t want to spoil her honeymoon. She would never let this happen. She would’ve insisted us on staying with her. She probably would’ve even hooked Alex up at a job in Tyler’s firm. But Alex needed to regain his confidence.

A broker set us up with a small flat on rent. It was barely a flat- a single, shabby, poorly furnished room with a bathroom and kitchen attached. The locality was scary too. The room badly needed cleaning. As I looked around, Alex held his head between his hands regretfully. “I’m sorry, love. I shouldn’t put you through all this. Maybe I don’t deserve you. You should go stay with Jane. This is my battle. I’ll come back to you when I become someone.”

“Shut up. Don’t you ever think of separating us again. My happiness lies in you. Wherever you go, I’ll go with you. It’s not that bad anyway, a bit of cleaning and it would be our own private love nest. Now all of your time belongs to me.” I winked, trying to cheer him up,

A week went by but Alex wasn’t able to find himself a job. The reason being he was unwilling to attach his premier college degrees in his resume. He wanted to earn everything on his own qualification. Thus, it seemed impossible for him to find a job deserving of his aptitude. The money was running out like water. We hadn’t brought much with us anyway. Even living downtown had a high toll on our savings. So I also began secretly looking for jobs for myself. I wanted to support him in every way that I could.

Finally, one evening when I opened the door, he suddenly pulled me closer and kissed me. I was surprised but it had been a while since he had been so happy and kissed me spontaneously. I also lost my control and in no time my flour coated fingers were running through his hair. He lifted me up in his arms.  “You are so lucky for me. I finally got hired. It’ nothing big and the pay is not great too but I will get good experience there.”

“Think of it as a stepping stone. Your talent will soon be recognized and you’d be on top in no time. I’m so happy for you.” I kissed him back and we fell upon the bed. I hugged him.

“This calls for a celebration. How about I bake a chocolate cake I learnt back in school?” I quickly rose up and went to the kitchen.

As I was kneading the dough, his came from behind and held my waist. “You smell like a bakery. Let me help you.” He whispered into my ear.

The next moment it was a flour fight in the kitchen.

************************************************

I gave a couple of interviews myself but because I had never got a chance to complete college, no one was interested to hire me. Who knew the smallest of jobs needed qualifications? I even tried my luck as a nanny, but most of the families were interested in a full time nanny and I was not in a position to leave Alex alone. As I was returning dejectedly one day, I saw a vacancy sign in front of a bar/hotel. I don’t know what I was thinking but I went inside to try my luck.

“It’s the job of a waitress. You have to wait tables every night, no holidays. Also, we will pay you by the hour. We need good looking girls here. The most important thing is you have to obey the clients’ demands. You cannot argue with them. You can collect your uniform and start from tonight only. Any other questions?” The manager briefed me.

“I’m sorry. I can’t do this.” I ran out. What the hell was I doing? Alex would break if he knew I was taking up such a job. I felt suffocated in midst of the smoke, the loud music and the drunkards.

*********************************************

A few days passed. Alex’s office was on the other side of the city and it was extremely expensive to even get there. His salary wasn’t due until the next month. We were only left with a few dollars now. I didn’t want to share this problem with him. It would probably demoralize him. I was desperately in need of a job, a job where I would get immediate money. I wasn’t left with an option.

Should Katy take up the job? Would it affect their relationship? Find out in the next update!

{ Vote if you liked what you read. It is a great motivation for me. I'll love you forever. Leave your comments down below to let me know what you think, and add it to your reading list/follow me so you don't miss out on the next update! <3 xoxo }