Chapter 46

Okay, this chapter is a bit long but i hadn't updated in days and there's so much I wanted to share with you! Hope you like it. :)

I waited impatiently as the phone rang. Weren’t mom and Stacy looking for me? Why didn’t anyone turn up to identify me? What the hell was I doing in Las Vegas anyway?

“Who’s this?” Stacy spoke from the other side of the line.

“Hey Stace! You in Texas?” I replied awkwardly. I didn’t want her to pick up.

“Cut the crap Katy. What the heck do you want?”

“I had an accident and I kind of lost my memory of the past year……..”

I could hear her proud laugh from the other side of the line. She had so much pleasure in my pain.

“Are you kidding me? You are so f*cked up. Well, you deserved it.”

“Can I talk to mom?”

“She doesn’t want to talk to you. After whatever you did….Last year instead of visiting me you fled away with the entire money mom had and I heard you had been sleeping around with a lot of trashy guys lately. She even has a police complaint against you so you better not show your cursed face here.” She banged the phone and hung up.

I felt hurt. How could this be true? This does not sound like me. How did I change so much? I had no intent to run away even though I wanted to. Even though I wanted to dismiss the idea, it explained a lot of things…….Why I was in Las Vegas, why no one came for me……………..All the stress made my head ache even more. I could feel tears running down my cheeks when Sam entered. I quickly wiped them off.

“Did you talk to your family?” He asked, concerned.

“I did. But it seems like they don’t want me back. I don’t know what to do.” I couldn’t stop the tears anymore.

He hugged me and wiped my tears with his little fingers.

“Don’t worry. Have some muffins. It makes me feel better when I’m sad.” He blinked his eyes innocently.

I went to bed early but it was a sleepless night. I spent tossing and turning in the bed all night, thinking about all the things I could have done wrong to end up like this. I had to figure out my life tonight. I had to leave tomorrow; I had already been quite a burden on these fine people.

The next morning as I woke up and went down stairs, I heard silent sobs coming from the kitchen. I went in to see Maratha shedding tears and it was not due to chopping onions.

“Hi…Is everything alright Maratha?” I asked her.

“Yes. Absolutely perfect.” I could tell she was lying from her eyes.

“You can tell me….maybe I can help you out.”

“It’s my husband. He’s sick, very sick.”

“Then why don’t you go see him?”

“He’s in North Carolina. I’m not allowed to leave Sam alone. He’s not well too.”

I looked down hopelessly, and then an idea struck me.

“Hey why don’t you go visit your husband over the weekend while I take care of Sam?”

“I don’t know.”

“You can trust me. I’d never harm him. You have done so much for me. I owe you one. And no one will ever know.”

After a lot of convincing, Maratha finally believed me. There were other staff members in the house too, so they had a watch on me. She gave me a doctor’s number to call immediately if anything bad happened to Sam though she didn’t tell me what was wrong with him.

We spent a full day watching horror movies and eating out of ice cream tubs. Sam told me we were on the outskirts of the city, cut out from all the people and city buzz. I liked it too, it was very peaceful.

As I was making a cake with Sam the next day, I heard someone’s voice from outside.

“Maratha, Maratha….where are you?”

I rushed outside with Sam. A guy looked at me peculiarly as if I was an alien. Admitted I was covered in flour and my hair was a complete mess, but still it was very rude.

“Where’s Maratha?” He asked.

“Hi brother, I missed you.” Sam ran down and hugged him.

The guy awkwardly hugged back.

“Hi, I’m Katy.” I extended my hand which he blatantly ignored. “Maratha had to leave, but she’ll be back tomorrow.” I tried to be friendly.

“How dare she?” He took out a phone and began screaming at who I assumed to be Maratha. “See I don’t care………..How could you even think of leaving my brother with this thing? Who knows where she’s from?...........I am done with you…Don’t even dare to come back…You’re fired.” He shook his head in despise.

“I know it was a bit irresponsible of us but…………”

“Yeah. You too, get out. I don’t need you in this house. I can take care of my brother. Here, this is some money for yesterday.”

I was hurt. Just because I was in this situation didn’t give him the right to disrespect me.

I blurted out. “Really? The person who barely knows his brother thinks he can take care of him? Do you even know what his favorite ice cream flavor is? Every night he cries himself to bed. But do you even care? I don’t need your wretched money. I’m out of here.” I threw the money on his face and ran outside.

God. I didn’t even know where to go. I felt bad for Sam too. I shouldn’t have lost my temper. How could I even leave him with that lunatic? Do we even get a cab here? I sighed and sat down on the pavement.

Where will Katy go now?

{ Vote if you liked what you read. It is a great motivation for me. I'll love you forever. Leave your comments down below to let me know what you think, and add it to your reading list/follow me so you don't miss out on the next update! <3 xoxo }