Chapter 30

ALEX'S POV

All the memories flashed by my eyes. That night when Katy and I were alone in the house, she wanted me just as much I wanted her. She took a step forward towards me but I retreated. I didn’t have the courage to accept my love for her. She cried and told me that Jake and she weren’t meant to be. I pushed her towards Jake. She is in that operation theatre because of me. If anything happened to her, I swear I wouldn’t ever forgive myself. I wanted to die.

I called up Jane. I didn’t know who else to call.

“Hey Alex, what’s up?” Jane asked casually.

“Jane……” I broke into tears. “Katy……..something happened to her. Come here fast. I need you.”

“Wait. What happened to Katy?” Jane was panicked by my relentless crying.

I briefly described to her bits and pieces of the story I knew. She gasped and cursed with disgust. It was unbelievable our little brother could do such a thing.

“I’ll be right away.” That was all Jane could say.

The doctor came out after what seemed like an eternity.

I quickly went up to him. “I’m sorry. She’s still in danger. Date rape drug has been found in the patient’s blood. Due to heavy overdose, her body has shut down. We have kept her heart beating on artificial machinery for now. We’ll try our best, but I won’t lie to you and say there’s no need to worry. It seems like she has lost the will to live. She is not responding to any medicine. She may drift to permanent coma if she doesn’t regain her senses within the next 48 hours.” He gently patted on my back and went away.

 I stood there frozen. My heart started sinking. I felt so helpless. Katy was dying in the next room and I could do nothing to save her. I never deserved her. How could I have let this happen?

I fell to the floor and broke to tears.

A few hours later, the doctor finally let me meet her. She still wasn’t conscious, neither was she out of danger.

“You should meet her; we don’t know how much time you’ve got.” I stopped the doctor. My Katy wasn’t going to die.

I sat down beside her and stroked her palm gently. It wasn’t warm and pink like it used to be. It was ice cold.

“You’re going to be just fine.” I tried to smile, but couldn’t. I didn’t know how much I believed what I was saying. But if she dies, I die.

Suddenly her breath started going irregular. The ECG started beeping faster and faster till it subsided to a faint, flat beep. I called for a doctor.

The doctor came in but didn’t do anything. He bowed his head and stood in the corner.

“I’m sorry. The patient was sinking. We lost her.”

No. NO. NOOOO.

“Please, do something.” I flopped to the ground and clung to the feet of the doctor. “Save her. I can’t live without her.” I didn’t care if I was begging. If only begging would bring her back.

The doctor lifted me up and left silently. I buried my face into Katy’s frozen arms.

”You can’t do this to me. You can’t leave me alone. I love you Katherine Hayden.”

{ Vote if you liked what you read. It is a great motivation for me. I'll love you forever. Leave your comments down below to let me know what you think, and add it to your reading list/follow me so you don't miss out on the next update! <3 xoxo }