Over the rainbow

1,348 Chapter 28: Over the rainbow

The screams were agonizing and instead of becoming quieter they only seemed to increase as the werewolves in vain fought against their horrible destiny, Hayley had to get out of here, everyone had fled the smaller tent where she was being kept and she wouldn't escape a ruthless Klaus if she stayed here.

Her desperation was only put on hold by the most painful contraction that took over her body, she had to sit down and then curl up a bit giving in to the symptoms that had been a constant lately.

When her pain eased up, she opened her eyes to find a set of impeccable and shiny shoes, slowly Hayley looked up to face Elijah, she wasn't sure how this was going to end but she straightened up already with tears in her eyes. "If you are going to kill me, do it quickly so that he doesn't suffer." she touched her belly.

He was the only one who had stood by her side since the beginning and now that she had time to ponder about all of her decisions and words she came to understand that Elijah protected and saved her countless times, she owed him for all those acts even if she was propelled into all of this because of him as well, and maybe because of that she cried her first real tears.

"I owe you an apology for going along with Katherine's plan from the beginning but I wish you had been honest with me Hayley." he crouched so that he could face her on the same level.

"I saw an opportunity and I took it, Katherine offered me power but the witches offered me the only thing that Caroline could never give Tyler and consequently Klaus. I had a time frame to get pregnant and I seduced Tyler, it wasn't pretty or magical or any of those things, he wasn't even done with it and he was already teary and regretting it all... but I still had him." she tried to keep her chin high while tears rolled down her face.

"How many lives have you wrecked because of this deceit Hayley?" he sounded understanding and sweet.

Just as she knew him. "So what?" she shrugged nonchalant. "She still won, she still has Klaus and a place in your family and she will always have Tyler's love, I am the one who has nothing."

"You have a baby, that should be your biggest gift." Elijah spoke in a low voice and resuming to his ways he reached out to sort out a few loose hairs from her clumsy ponytail.

"It's a curse..." she whispered.

"You know nothing of that child..."

There was a pitiable tone in his voice that she rejected completely. "Keep your pity for your family Elijah, you are all a bunch of raving animals who should have been put down a long time ago. I hope none of you finds happiness, ever." she left a contemptible curse in the air as she stood up.

Elijah stepped away so that she could leave the tent. "We are all accountable for own sins Hayley, you are not better than any of us."

She went outside without even a single hesitation but she startled as Klaus showed up in front of her with blood painting his face and his stubble, her breath was caught up in her throat and she felt Elijah stop behind her, he addressed his brother with the words that would hurt her the most as he neared Klaus while keeping his back on her.

"Ending the life of a woman with child would upset Caroline and Hayley is not worth even that, let her walk away and she will never accomplish any of what she aimed for."

Klaus gracefully raised his hand dripping of blood, he pointed at Hayley with a sinister smirk. "I will count to five and she better be long gone from my sight when I reach four. One... three." he toyed darkly as he intentionally skipped count.

Hayley stumbled on a clumsy race, she did her best to overlook the bodies covering the ground and headed for the woods as fast as she could.

Klaus smiled at Elijah and then turned away licking his thumb not keen on wasting any blood, his brother scolded his manners but Rebekah just neared them licking her thumb in the same mannerism.