Coming of age

Chapter 14: Coming of age

Klausy had his tiny paws up and crossed them lazily lost in the sweet pattern that Rebekah was making on his tummy.

"Look at me, I'm so evil." Rebekah said with pursed eyebrows.

"Fear me!" Caroline chuckled with the super sweet image of Klausy resting on his back and surrendered to Rebekah's cuddling ways.

"Thank you for bringing him today." the Original smiled at Caroline accepting the coffee that the other gave her.

Caroline returned the smile and took a look around the busy environment surrounding them, she really liked New Orleans because it was such a lively city and there was always music and agitation in the streets, right now a random street band walked by the café and Klausy opened his eyes jolting back on his feet curious about the noise, Caroline stroked his head and he bounced restless, loving the new attention.

"I hate leaving him alone at the house."

"I could take care of him while you work on those really high grades to impress Nik."

Caroline lowered her eyes fuming Rebekah. "I'm getting an education because I like using my brain, I'm not doing this for anyone else but me."

"You have a certain fixation with remaining human, no matter what." Rebekah said tapping the table, the noise made Klausy react and leave Caroline's touch searching Rebekah's fingers instead.

Caroline slowed down the answer taking another long sip from her coffee. "I wasn't allowed any other choice Rebekah, from the second I was turned that I had to be human and deal with everything as fast as they threw it at me. I had to adapt and I had to have everything under control because everyone hated human Caroline but they didn't like Vampire Caroline either, so..." she shrugged.

"Which one are you really?" Rebekah asked with honest interest.

Caroline laughed quietly. "It's been a very long year so I'm not sure anymore."

"Either way, I forbid you to go back to Mystic Falls. Your friends are a bunch of narrowed minded tools who can't see past the double standards that they created themselves. Using who they please while being judgy about the rest of us."

"You used Matt all summer." Caroline stroked Klausy's back pulling his interest back to her.

"It was a mutual deal, it was one of those no strings attached things..." she smiled with a little evil sting. "Klausy?" she sweetly called and immediately the little dog went to her.

Caroline focused on the dog but gave Rebekah a smile. "Come here Klausy."

"Stay here little one." Rebekah called the dog to herself tenderly.

The little white Maltese was confused and barked between them unsure which one to choose, eventually he sat and rested his head over his paws watching them with his big puppy eyes.

As one big metaphor hitting both, they understood that there would have to be some sort of compromise and that they would have to share not only the dog but the big wolf so fond of both.

"This should be stirring." Rebekah had another sip from her coffee.

"Is that what you tell yourself every time that you fall in love?" Caroline beamed with malice.

Rebekah dropped the cup on the table and pulled her short dress a little down her legs. "I'm decided to turn things around and I will not be falling in love again any time soon." she said with utter conviction.

Caroline burst into a very loud and piercing laughter, she threw her head back and touched her chest only adding to Rebekah's uncomfortable hot seat.