Guarded

Chapter 10: Guarded

Silas dropped the gun on the table. "I think that you should start thinking about talking Caroline."

She dragged out a long breath while pulling out the latest bullet that was lodged in her leg. "I know about guns, you have one bullet left and I don't have much time to live so we should make this quick. Don't miss the heart the next time and we can all go on our way." she dropped the bullet on the floor.

Silas left the table waving her phone. "I'm surprised that the hybrid hasn't galloped his way back to Mystic Falls to rescue his queen."

Caroline's eyes flicked between sadness and acceptance that he wasn't coming this time, at least not on time.

Silas knelt before her and cupped her chin, the movement made her rest her head against the wall, her skin was cold and ghastly white by now and her breathing was happening with such difficulty that it hurt even him by just listening to the heavy draw ins. "You think that he isn't coming because he is busy with his family now, his new family..." Silas was careful not to smile as he read her doubts and fears, they weren't there for his glee, they were personal and just like the hybrid's mind Caroline was powerful and assertive although guarded. "I find you and Klaus fascinating like no other. You are so similar, you both believe that you are not good enough for each other... it's all almost bittersweet."

Caroline lost the strength in her eyes that were already dim from all that light so particular to her. "Stop reading my mind..." she whispered.

"There's only the two of us in here Caroline." he foreshadowed her doom by standing up and reaching for the gun.

She closed her eyes for a second, images of the ones she loved raced through her mind and she settled on Bonnie, they would be together now and rock the other side and the thought made her smile, she would see Bonnie again.

"Tell me all that you know about Klaus' little plan to mess with the other side Caroline or I will wait for your mother to get home and take my frustration out on her."

Caroline pressed her teeth together and faced him with nothing but hatred.

"And I win again." Tyler smugly smiled.

Matt threw the remote to the side and picked up his beer. "Only because you have all those sharp senses now." he grumbled.

"It's one of the few nice things I got from all this..." Tyler had his beer leaning forward with a heavy sigh.

"Hey man... you have that gloomy vibe back, do you need to talk?"

Tyler softly shook his head. "The company is enough Matt."

"I still don't feel comfortable staying here now that you are back..."

"I'm sure you miss your really dark and miserable tiny room."

Matt pointed the tip of his beer towards Tyler. "I don't but this isn't my house either."

"You can always move in with Rebekah, I'm sure she would like that."

Matt stood up annoyed. "Things with her are... unclear."

"Are you really using the Silas thing to break up with her? She's not on my list of favorite people but still..."

Matt looked back at Tyler, he rubbed the back of his neck looking guilty. "She's an amazing girl but the entire time that we were together I kept thinking of all the things that her family did to us and things only got worse when we got back here." he still smiled reminiscing on the good memories that he had from their summer together. "But she's really great."