The end of Summer

Chapter 5: The end of Summer
"I told you that that was her car..."

The voice was strong and she recognized it immediately, Caroline opened her eyes slowly, she must have dozed off from exhaustion after crying so much. "Matt..." she smiled a little when she saw the bright blue eyes of her friend.

"What are you doing here Care?" he asked crouching in front of her.

Caroline sat up wanting to cry again, she tightened her lips and looked down on her hands. "Bonnie is dead..."

"I'm sorry... I didn't..." Matt staggered with words and massive confusion.

Caroline looked up at him slowly nodding. "She was missing all summer Matt and I knew that something was wrong... Jeremy finally told me the truth yesterday, she died before Graduation."

He stood up numbly and shook his head refusing to believe that another one of his friends was lost.

Caroline stood up from the sofa and rushed to his side. "Matt?" she touched his shoulder.

"How did we lose Bonnie?" he turned around to face her clueless.

Caroline wanted to stop but the tears were coming again. "I don't know..." she had been asking herself the same question. "But we lost her to this cursed town and to these fights that keep taking everyone that we love away from us. She's gone Matt..."

Matt quickly pulled her into his arms and Caroline gripped his leather jacket hard crying in his arms, she only pulled away when she heard her little dog barking, she had forgotten all about him.

Rebekah was standing next to the sofa quietly watching the scene and holding Klausy in her arms, she stroked the head of the dog sweetly. "I found him in the car."

Caroline smiled a bit while taking the dog from her arms, Klausy himself loved the change and shook his tail.

"I was tired and this was the closest house..." Caroline tried to explain why she was caught in here.

"The bedrooms upstairs would have been more comfortable." Rebekah said in a sweet voice searching for Matt, he was staring at the mantel and she was concerned about him. "Can I do anything to help Matt?"

"I'm going to see Jeremy." he simply said before leaving the house.

Rebekah tried to show indifference from the cold blow and faced Caroline with determination. "Perhaps drinks are in order."

The other blonde cuddled Klausy closer. "The Grill opens early." she slowly left the house that only reminded her of him.

New Orleans

Klaus looked up from the laptop resting on the big table as Elijah came inside of the house. "I did not expect to see you back so soon. If you are here to pack your things, there was no reason really. I could have sent them to whatever luxurious haven you are wasting on that girl."

Elijah took a long silent look at his brother who was returning his attention towards the laptop. "You have not made a fire of my belongings yet?"

The question made Klaus look at him again. "We have not come to those ugly displays of a bad breakup yet."

Elijah puckered his eyebrows. "I'm relieved that you are aware that my blind loyalty to you is slowly fading due to your atrocious actions Niklaus."

Klaus smiled as he closed his laptop. "I like making justice to my reputation."

Elijah watched him with a shaking head. "It took me a long time to agree with the rest of the world but there is nothing left of my brother in you."